First start after reboot omits some VAX features
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dany

Germany
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  01:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience in C# is, that sometimes running VS2005 after a system start and opening a solution leaves some VAX features turned off (even on switching source windows).

I mean the button bar on popup boxes (suggestions) to filter for class, enum etc. is missing then. Also the shortcut suggestions are not working then. Though coloring works. Only closing VS and reopening it after some seconds corrects this problem.

I performed another reboot, after I cleared the history and cache of VAX. Opening a solution, VAX is importing the VS assemblies while the code remains "uncolored" (which is probably OK, because if VAX does not know what to color yet...). When VAX finishes, the contents are colored OK. Checking for the suggestions, all VAX functionality is where it belongs.

A second and a third reboot (without rebuilding the cache) shows no problems anymore. I think I'll have to watch this behavior over the time. Maybe the cache gets corrupted anyhow and the rebuilding corrected the strange behavior?

P.S.: it has been my experience until now, that I had to open a solution after system start and close VS after loading completed, just to restart VS again to get rid of the problem. Now it seems, that the clearing of the cache did something good. Nevertheless I opened this thread, because there are others with a similar experience and feline asked me to in another thread (#7979).

If it is of any importance:
VA_X.dll file version 10.4.1640.0 built 2008.05.22
Licensed to:
VA X: daniel.################ (10-user license) Support ends 2008.12.13
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2180
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors <- actually no, just hyper threading activated

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
D:\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
D:\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
D:\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
D:\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\common\\include;
D:\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;

Other Includes:

Stable Source Directories:
D:\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
D:\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
D:\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

Dany

// using VAX in C# of VS2010 SP1 (en), Win 7 SP1 (de)

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2008 :  1:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To state the obvious this should not happen. If this was a "standard" symbol datatabase problem then I would not expect simply restarting the IDE to help.

Do you often work with more than one IDE open at the same time?
Do you have any other IDE plugin's installed?

After a reboot does it take a while for windows to finish booting and loading all of the things that run on startup? I am wondering if there is just extra system load at this time, and if this is the part of the problem. When the machine is running at 100% CPU usage this can have an effect on the IDE and VA.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Dany

Germany
41 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  01:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I avoid opening a second instance of the IDE due to weird behavior of the editor (sometimes VAX is not working properly, sometimes mouse clicks are not recognized, just right click edit: I mean the source code window).

I have 3 plug-ins installed.
One of them I made myself to put strings into resx files, replacing them by the call into the resources (it parses the text for double quoted strings and displays them in a docked grid to be handled). But normally its window is closed, so I assume it is not active in this case, but I may be wrong.
The others are GhostDoc to automatically document code by shortcut and the oracle explorer.

After rebooting I usually wait two minutes until the hard disk LED gives up eventually.

The strange thing is now, that I've not been able to reproduce it since I cleaned the cache and history buffer of VAX. I installed the 1645 today and watch it closely

Dany

// using VAX in C# of VS2010 SP1 (en), Win 7 SP1 (de)

Edited by - Dany on Jul 14 2008 06:51:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  09:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be interesting to see if VA 1645 helps.

It is possible that one of these other plugin's is a factor, since I do not recognise this problem.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000