Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BruteForce

Greece
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  11:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In an empty Win32 project declare one variable inside a function:
BOOL bTest;

In the next line I start an if statement and type "if(b".

VA suggests the following:
- BOOL
- bool (default suggestion)
- break
- bTest

To start with 'break' is out of the question. It should not appear.

Then, since I am obviously typing an identifier (there is no extra parenthesis to suggest I might be starting a typecast) I would expect to get only identifiers in the suggestion list.

In more complex projects the list also includes macro names that start with B.

I would not call this a bug, but it would be a little welcome improvement. With the possible exception of zero-hungarian modernists :-P, I think that starting boolean variable names with 'b' is a bit common so it's a bit of a pain to get irrelevant suggestions in this case. That's why I used this example.

Warm Regards,
Dimitris Staikos

When all else fails try common sense.

pjohnmeyer

9 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  1:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Then, since I am obviously typing an identifier (there is no extra parenthesis to suggest I might be starting a typecast) I would expect to get only identifiers in the suggestion list.

I wouldn't say obviously; you can do

if ( bool b = SomeMethodThatReturnsABool() )
  {
    // will execute if b is true as returned by the method
  }

I'm not sure WHY you would (at least with a bool -- definitely seen this with pointers when the pointer is used in the if block), but you could.

Edited by - pjohnmeyer on Sep 26 2008 1:58:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  1:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"bool" will be a default suggestion if you have a VA Snippet for bool with the shortcut "b", which is quite possible.

At this point you could be calling a function, or a class member variable, or a macro. You could also be asking for a type, since you may be about to declare a new variable. So the only one that is unreasonable is break, but this assumes that you are typing "valid" code

"valid" is a tricky one, since sometimes people want VA to be active in "it looks like C" languages.

Having said all of this I rather like the idea, but I am not sure what VA can really do, in general, that helps without causing to many problems.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  1:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cross posting strikes again pjohnmeyer you make a very good point, and I have also seen this sort of thing done occasionally with pointers.

Go to Top of Page

BruteForce

Greece
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  10:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

"bool" will be a default suggestion if you have a VA Snippet for bool with the shortcut "b", which is quite possible.

I checked it out and under C++ snippets I only have your defaults for this case which is capital B ==> BOOL.
Under C# snippets 'b' ==> 'bool', but I am in a C source file so I would expect the C++ snippets to be active.

quote:

At this point you could be calling a function, or a class member variable, or a macro.

I think that macros are not that probable, it wouldn't hurt much to omit them, with the possible exception of those that already appear within if conditions in earlier code. So basically the first time I use a macro in a condition you add it in VA's if-suggestion list. I think this would not be that tough to implement, however I am not in your shoes so I can't forsee all consequences [;-)]
In driver development there are far too many macros and the list gets a bit messy.

quote:

You could also be asking for a type, since you may be about to declare a new variable.

quote:
Originally posted by pjohnmeyer

I wouldn't say obviously; you can do

if ( bool b = SomeMethodThatReturnsABool() )
  {
    // will execute if b is true as returned by the method
  }

I'm not sure WHY you would (at least with a bool -- definitely seen this with pointers when the pointer is used in the if block), but you could.

[:-)] Doing driver coding in C about 90% of my time I tend to wipe out of my head all these totally unnecessary "syntactic sugar" crap of C++.
Still, I guess VA can figure out I am in a .C file and not suggest types where types can't appear [:-)]

quote:

So the only one that is unreasonable is break, but this assumes that you are typing "valid" code
"valid" is a tricky one, since sometimes people want VA to be active in "it looks like C" languages.

That's exactly why I said I am not in your shoes! I guess it must be a really demanding job keeping every possible VA user happy.

Go to Top of Page

pjohnmeyer

9 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  09:53:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[:-)] Doing driver coding in C about 90% of my time I tend to wipe out of my head all these totally unnecessary "syntactic sugar" ---- of C++.
Still, I guess VA can figure out I am in a .C file and not suggest types where types can't appear [:-)]

Just an FYI, this isn't "totally unnecessary 'syntactic sugar'"... the variable declared in the if condition is limited to the scope of the if block, and limiting scope of variables, as you probably know, is generally considered good programming practice. Not that this has anything to do with your problem, just letting you know.
Go to Top of Page

BruteForce

Greece
32 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  12:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I happen to know that, thanks anyway
What most people don't know though, is that in C you can declare variables practically anywhere; that is anywhere a new scope is opened with a left bracket:

void f(void)
{

while (some_condition)
  {
     void *pNextPacket = GetNextPacket();
  }

Perfectly legal C code that I write night and day.
Thus:

if (void *p = func())
{
}

Can be written in C as well as:

{ // Just open a new scope in the middle of a function.
   void *p;
   if (p = func())
   {
   }
}

which for me classifies "if (void *p = func())" as C++ syntactic sugar :-D

Cheers,
Dimitris

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  08:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back when I was programming in pure C I used to use extra curly braces to introduce local scopes into code, to add a local variable. I tried to avoid doing this, but there were times when it was a useful solution. I don't know how common this is, but I would expect any experienced C programmer to be aware of it.

Most of our users work in C++ rather than C, which is a bit different.

More generally though, while this idea of "only suggest valid things" is interesting, it is starting to sound very complex. In general a lot of things are valid. For an "average" programmer quite a few of these things will never be used, so can be safely excluded from VA suggestion listboxes.

However different programmers will have different things they think should be excluded.

I have the feeling this idea could get over complex rather quickly

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000