Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  07:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS6 C++, WinXP SP2, VAX 1715

VS crashes sometimes after i installed the new 1715 with a failed read. I attached the debugger to see what happens, but i cannot see any VAX related stuff. To check if VAX causes the crash i disabled it in the Add-Ins and the crash doesnt appear again. After a while i wanted to re-enable VAX via the Add-Ins and it crashes after several dialogs that were asking to close all documents (No/Cancel doesnt work). So i opened a new clean VS without any documents and tried to enable VAX again and it worked, but the toolbar was not visible. Disabling and re-enabling of the VAX does not work either.

The only real hint i can give is that the previous version works more stable.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2009 :  12:15:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Disabling and enabling VA in VC6 is not recommended, this can crash VC6. Not very helpful at this stage, but worth mentioning.

To fix the missing VA toolbar first close all instances of VC6. Then run regedit and delete the string value:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \\ Software \\ Whole Tomato \\ Visual Assist X \\ CreateToolbarVC6 = "xxx"

and reload VC6. VA will ask you if you want to assign keybindings to commands that it exposes to the IDE. You can simply say No to this. The toolbar should now have been re-created.

Which other addins do you have installed?
Does the crash happen very often? I am wondering about turning on VA logging.

What sort of failed read are you getting? Reading a memory address? A file on the hard drive?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  05:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, toolbar is now visible again.

The crash actually doesnt happened again. Maybe it just was a bad day yesterday. I have ClearCase Add-In and maybe something doesnt worked well together with VAX yesterday. Maybe the file backup and restore made some problems with checked in files...

I'll keep an eye on it
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  09:30:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least this is some good news

Were you having any network problems? I have a vague memory of problems with source control systems when the source control plugin could not reliably connect to the source control server, causing the IDE to appear to hang. My memory is very fuzzy on the details, but this could be related to what you saw.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2009 :  09:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sometimes got this "hangs", but i would say its the problem of the source control and sometimes the network and normally doesnt bring the IDE to crash, only to hang for ever .

The crash happened if i wanted to open a .cpp file that was checked-in and (maybe) VAX wants to recover the file. This was reproducable yesterday. As far as i can remember i had this behaviour in early versions from time to time, but iam not sure... That means, VAX and source control tools get in trouble in this situation.

Maybe there is another reason, why both tools wanted to access exactly this file at the same time, but i dont know - maybe you have an idea. But after disabling VAX and of course checking the file out and in VAX now works fine.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000