Feature Requests
 Visualize diff against a base file while coding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emonk

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2009 :  5:10:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So our company licenses code from somebody else, which often causes merge bugs when integrating from the latest code drop.

It seems to me that some way to program and view lines that are different from another source tree would be helpful while writing so you can know what was your local company's change and what was original code. Changing the background color might do the trick. Having two colors to show added lines and modified lines would be nice.

This would also help with personal branches and eliminating whitespace changes, having an option to revert that line to the source file would be nice too.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  11:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is what diff / merge programs are for. Two example programs that I have used are:

http://winmerge.org/
http://www.scootersoftware.com/

Also any source control system should provide these sort of features / tools.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

emonk

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  11:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have beyond compare and it works well for doing the diff. But often working with a separate program requires you to go back and forth between different windows, a slow process. The alternate is to just do all my programming in beyond compare, but it is not very good as a text editor as visual studio is, and the diffing needs I have are rather low.

I am not talking about a program to solve my diff/merge needs. I am talking about a plugin for visual studio which assists programmers working with an external code base.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18941 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  10:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look in the IDE options dialog (VS2005) there is a node "Source Control". The IDE already has features for integration with source control systems.

Exactly how this works will depend on your source control system.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000