Main Site | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
User name:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your password?

All Forums
 Visual Assist
 Feature Requests
 Is that possible to make VA work in other editor?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kenny

19 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  2:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometime we just need an editor but not an huge/slow IDE if we don't need to compile/debug, so users that like to use other editor(not Visual Studio series), such as UltraEdit/Scite/.../etc, should have the opportunity to enjoy VA, and this will surely bring you more customers too!

If this is possible, it would be really helpful! But I know it may be difficult to made VA portable, these editors may have to provide some interfaces for VA that they currently not provide, else we may implement that in some "hacking" way? What if that editor was written by my own(e.g. using RichEdit written in MFC or using scintilla)?

Edited by - kenny on Apr 03 2009 2:51:26 PM

gmit
Whole Tomato Software

Croatia
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  3:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sometime we just need an editor but not an huge/slow IDE if we don't need to compile/debug, so users that like to use other editor(not Visual Studio series), such as UltraEdit/Scite/.../etc, should have the opportunity to enjoy VA, and this will surely bring you more customers too!

It might be a bit inconvenient, but, why don't you consider using VC6 as an editor?
Go to Top of Page

kenny

19 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2009 :  11:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmit
It might be a bit inconvenient, but, why don't you consider using VC6 as an editor?

Actually I'm working in a company that develop programs under an IDE of their own (called Code Builder). Since the programming language that IDE supports is based on the ANSI C and it supports a number of C++ features and even a few C# features too(it's named Origin C), so we usually write codes using VC and then switch to that IDE when we need to compile/link/debug programs.
As you see, this is really inconvenient:
1. We have to swith between VC and Code Builder many times.
2. When editing the source code of Origin C using VC6, VA works fine but not perfectly, because Origin C is sort of language of mixed type.

Well, I know that it might holds no interest for you since you're focusing on VC, so I'm just wondering whether I can make 'Code Builder' support VA by adding all the interfaces that VA needs(I can view/modify the source code of Code Builder, though it's a big project). If that is possible, how and what can I do with this?

Thanks for your reply.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  10:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently we have no plans to support any other editors, it is a full time job just keeping up with the Microsoft IDE's.

You may be able to compile from within VC6 by just telling the IDE to use the correct compiler. I don't know how to do this, but I have heard of people doing it. Perhaps via a makefile project?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000