Feature Requests
 Formatted Doc Comments Display/Edit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

invino4

35 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  8:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In C# the document comments (i.e. the /// comments) contain formatting elements a la HTML and reference links. These blocks are a bunch of XML. It would be really nice if these blocks could be rendered in their fully formated form in place instead of as the XML that they are. Of course they should still be the underlying XML in the source file, but when scrolling around the file and using them I'd rather see them nicely formatted.

As a second order, being able to do WYSIWYG editting of these comments would also be a plus. Of course having it switch back dynamically to the XML when needed is going to be required.

- Jason.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  07:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I understand correctly this is not something we could really do. We do not have control of the IDE, we are sneaking around behind its back redrawing the screen. This is why you sometimes get clipping with italic text.

To radically change what is visible on the screen would take a level of control that we do not really have.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

invino4

35 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  10:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh well. I guess I'll have to kick this up to the VS guys as a feature request. If this doc comments stuff is really going to be useful we really need to get more bang and less bloat. I love the XML for capturing intention, but reading it sucks rocks.
Go to Top of Page

invino4

35 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  04:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With VS10 coming out and its new display engine and extensions for Add-ins would it be possible to revisit this request?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  10:39:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a vague memory of someone telling me VS2010 already does something like this its self, but I am not certain of that.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000