New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

youfly

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  06:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VS2008,VAX1722trial,WinXP
Look at this pic,

The color of the texts in the edit window didn't change when I changed the color in the option dialog,but the color of the texts in the "VA Find References Results" window changed-?-?

How can I make it work properly-?-+
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - youfly on Apr 13 2009 09:04:33 AM

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  1:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also seen this behavior before occasionally (not consistent), but the colors are correct after restarting the IDE.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  10:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any other IDE plugin's installed?
Are you running the IDE as an administrator, or a normal user?

So far I cannot reproduce the problem. I have changed the colours several times and the colours in both the code and the Find References Results window are updated immediately. So I am wondering if there is something different about your system.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  2:21:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only saw the problem in 1721, not 1722.
When I saw the problem, restarting the IDE always solved it.

However, this does bring up a related question.

Changes to these settings take effect in the "Find References" window when you click on 'Apply'. However, changes to these settings only impact the editor window after clicking 'Ok' and dismissing the window. It could be that is what youfly is showing in his screenshot.

There are several settings that are like this; they take place in some windows when 'Apply' is clicked, but only impact the edit window when 'Ok' is clicked. Why is that?

Thanks,
Mark.

Edited by - Nobodo on Apr 15 2009 09:30:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  12:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some users had problems with these colour options in VA 1721, VA 1722 contained a fix for this problem.

The options dialog and Apply vs OK, I don't have a complete answer, but some colour options are now "shared" between the VA options dialog and the IDE options dialog in VS2002 and above, so this complicates how options work somewhat.

Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2009 :  11:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am now seeing exactly what youfly is describing and has in his screenshot. VS2008, VA 1723, c#
When I change the 'highlight references' colors, the colors do change in the 'va find references' window but do not change in the edit window. Even after closing VS and reopening, the find references colors in the editor remain at the default colors.

On the same machine I do not see this behavior in VS2005; there it is changing correctly in the edit window.
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  10:14:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried in VS2008 on a 2nd machine, and there the highlight references are working correctly, but only after restarting the IDE. On the machine where it 'kinda' works - without restarting the IDE the color changes are present in the 'va find references' dialog, but the changes only appear in the edit window after restarting the IDE.

Both machines are Vista Ultimate. One one VA 1723 always displays default colors for references in the editor in VS2008 (as if colors were not changed in the refactoring dialog).

Any ideas why the one machine would always use default colors for highlighting references but only in VS2008 and not VS2005? When I change settings in VS2008 the settings themselves are sticky (remain even after closing the app) but the new colors appear only in the VA find references dialog and not in the editor window.

The machine I'm having this problem on is a laptop, and I find the default 'misty rose', etc. very difficult to see. I have really grown to depend on this new feature of highlighting references to words I click on, it is great!

Thanks,
Mark.

Edited by - Nobodo on Apr 29 2009 10:45:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  1:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds like some form of configuration problem with the machine, perhaps some form of permissions problem with certain registry keys. Is this a 32bit or 64bit OS?

Can you please try this:

Exit VS2008
Delete this registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Microsoft\\VisualStudio\\9.0\\FontAndColors\\Cache\Restart the IDE

does this make any difference?

Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2009 :  3:32:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Deleting the 9.0\\FontAndColors\\Cache key did the trick!
When I restarted VS the references under cursor were the colors I set them to, not the defaults.

I would never have thought to look there, thanks for your help!

Mark.
p.s. - it is 32 bit (you asked that).
Not a permissions problem - I am admin and have UAC turned off.

Edited by - Nobodo on Apr 29 2009 3:38:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  12:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange, VA 1722 is supposed to have fixed this problem, but obviously not completely. Hopefully this will stay fixed.

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  1:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nobodo: on the machine that had the problem, did you go from 1722 to 1723 or was it a different sequence? Did you uninstall VA before installing 1723?

Edited by - sean on Apr 30 2009 1:59:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  1:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Sean.
I upgraded from 1715 directly to 1723 on both Vista machines.
One one Vista machine with 1723 I saw the edit window not changing until I restarted the IDE. On the other Vista machine the edit window didn't change at all until I removed the suggested reg key. After removing the reg key on both machines, the 'find references' window updates as soon as I click 'Apply', and the edit window updates as soon as I click 'Ok'.

I also have an XP machine that I use more for development than the Vista machines, and it has seen probably every public build of VA over the last 3 years. On that machine I didn't see this issue with 1723.

On all machines I install the new version without uninstalling first.

Thanks,
Mark.

Edited by - Nobodo on May 01 2009 1:05:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info.
Go to Top of Page

Nobodo
Tomato Guru

126 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  1:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A note on that...
Uninstalling and reinstalling means entering two reg keys again (new one and older one to prove I deserve the upgrade price) -- it would be great if the registry info was not removed on uninstall to make it easier to reinstall.

Thanks,
Mark.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18947 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  1:49:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much information to remove when uninstalling can be a tricky point, some users expect everything to be removed when you uninstall.

In general there should never be any need to uninstall VA, since you can install a newer or older version over the top of the current version. I am always doing this when I need to check a specific build

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  8:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Build 1724 has some changes that should address VS Options dialog color initialization.
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  9:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
more changes for case=12710 are in build 1727
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: