Technical Support
 Insertion pointer jumps in extremely long files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

digero

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  11:29:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm editing an XML file that's ~144k lines long. When I select some text on line 143,811 and start typing to replace the selected text, the insertion pointer jumps to line 12,739 after I type one character. 12,739 happens to be 143,811 % 2^16, so I'm guessing that VAX stores the line number in a 16-bit integer somewhere.

[Edit] This happens for all lines above 131,072 (2^17): it jumps up by 131,072 lines.

This only happens when VAX is enabled, and it only happens if I select some text and start typing. It doesn't happen when no text is selected. I'm using VAX 10.5.1727.0, and Visual Studio Professional 2008.

It's easy enough for me to disable VAX when I'm editing this file, so it's not a high priority bug for me, but I figured I'd report it anyways.

Edited by - digero on Jul 15 2009 11:37:23 PM

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18942 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  2:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far I cannot reproduce this problem, even with a considerably longer file. Can you please download and try in this file, it is 300,000 lines long when unzipped:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/colin/forumimages/8883_Test.zip

I am going to the bottom of the file and I am not having any problems after selecting text and starting to type. I have tried a smaller and a larger file, and no problems in those either.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

digero

12 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  8:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't reproduce the problem using your file either. I haven't determined what else is special about the file I'm editing beyond the number of lines. So for now, don't worry about this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000