Technical Support
 Install VA.X without stomping VA.NET ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cbloom

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  6:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to install VA.X for MSVC 2005 but leave my old VA.NET working in MSVC 2003. It appears that the VA.X installer completely hoses my VA.NET install without asking me. Is there a way to stop this ?

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  8:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, you cannot do that. But you can stop Visual Assist X from loading:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

Is this suitable for you?
Out of interest, why do you want to skip VS2003?

Edited by - accord on Jul 31 2009 8:20:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

cbloom

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  8:23:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because I want to keep using VA.NET on VS2003 , because I like the suggestion/completion UI of VA.NET much better than VA.X

I want to use VA.X for VS2005+ but I would prefer to keep coding as much as possible in VS2003 with VA.NET
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  6:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think disabling VA will be good to achieve this. (http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306)

Anyway, we would be grateful if you would share us why don't you like VAX suggestions/completions. In what way was VA.NET better?
What programming language do you use in VS2003?
Go to Top of Page

cbloom

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  6:50:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I think by the time VAX is installed my VA.NET install is already stomped, so disabling VAX doesn't help. It's possible I could install VAX, then disable VAX in VC2003 then reinstall VA.NET, and then re-hook up my keys.

VA.NET has a much less intrusive and subtle way of making suggestions. For one thing they don't pop up at all while I'm typing, there's a nice delay. Then when they do pop up it's very often just a single suggestion which is placed right by what I typed. VA.NET also doesn't pop up any suggestions until I've typed a few characters and it has a decent guess. I really like single suggestion inverse tooltip in VA.NET ; I also like the way it doesn't pop up the suggestion box until I hit tab.

VAX seems to immediately make a ton of suggestions even when it has no good ideas (like after I type just one character), the list box is huge and flashy and is very distracting and covers lots of text. The things I would like to see are :

1. Delay after last key press before suggesting
2. No suggestions unless a pretty good guess is available
3. Only show one suggestion and let me hit a key to see more
4. Listbox much smaller and more subtle graphically so it doesn't distract so much

I can't figure out any way to set the options to make VAX behave more like VA.NET
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  5:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly many apologies for the delay in getting back to you about this. These points don't automatically have an easy answer, and we have been discussing them internally.

VA X is the upgraded version of VA.NET, so by design it replaces VA.NET when you install it. Since you can only have a single version of VA active at any one time this seems the best approach for nearly all of our users.

You can stop VA from showing suggestions when you are typing by simply turning off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Suggestions -> Include suggestions in listboxes

We are making changes to how suggestions work in the next build of VA to try and make them more focussed and relevant, which should help, but does not directly address your points.

The more local code you have in the current file, the better the idea VA has of what is going on, then the more accurate the suggestions should be.

Only showing one suggestion is not going to work very well, since we also include VA Snippets in the same listbox. When these are active it is common to have more than one snippet for the same code / shortcut, so we have to show all of them.

Also often we have two or three equally good suggestions. If you type "m_" inside a class then all member variables that start "m_" are sensible suggestions. If we only show one of them then this is not very helpful.

Point 4, the VA listboxes are designed to look as much like the IDE listboxes as possible. This is so that we blend in properly with the IDE and do not "clash" with it. The best solution here is to simply see fewer listboxes, which gets me back to the idea of turning off suggestions.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  3:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't tested this idea, but it occurred to me that you might be able to accomplish a side-by-side install of VA.NET and VA X by changing the order of install.

1. Install VA X to its own directory
2. Install VA.NET to a separate directory

At this point, theoretically, VS2003 will use VA.NET while VS2005/2008 will use VA X. (VA.NET will use a different symbol db than more recent builds of VA X)

Again, untested. YMMV. Unsupported, etc. No idea how license registration would be affected - could be a total mess. I hesitate to even make this post...
Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  4:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have verified using a VMWare WinXP SP3 virtual machine and side-by-side installation of Visual Studio.NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 that the procedure Sean wrote about does in fact work. Visual Studio 2005 uses VA X and Visual Studio.NET 2003 uses VA.NET. Each license key was properly accepted by the respective VA Options dialog.

Use our contact form to request a link to the VA.NET installer if you don't already have a copy:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

cbloom

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  1:48:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

> [quote]
> Only showing one suggestion is not going to work very well, since we also include VA Snippets in the same listbox. W

I always turn off Snippets and Suggestions because I find them to be uniformly unhelpful. I only want identifier word completion.

> [quote]
> Also often we have two or three equally good suggestions. If you type "m_" inside a class then all member variables

I don't want any suggestions if I just type m_ ; I only want suggestions when the probability of the suggestion being the correct one is over 75%

> [quote]
> Point 4, the VA listboxes are designed to look as much like the IDE listboxes as possible.

Okay, fair enough, though I don't really agree that looking like the IDE is inherently good, it's a small issue. I do really miss the single best suggestion hovering popup that you had in VA.NET

> [quote]
> which gets me back to the idea of turning off suggestions.

Yes, I currently have them turned off.

BTW I have found that even ignoring the UI issues, the quality of word completion seems to be worse than in VA.NET ; I now
am often unable to match symbols that have been freshly added to a file. Even if I click "reparse current file" they aren't
showing up in the matches.

FYI I have "get content from default intellisense" turned off because I don't like having to make SBR files. This was one
of the advantages of VA.NET

> [quote]
> I have verified using a VMWare WinXP SP3 virtual machine and side-by-side installation of Visual Studio.NET 2003 and [...]

Excellent, thanks, I'll try that.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18755 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  2:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The look of the listboxes, if you turn on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Display -> use tomato icons in listboxes and tooltips to mark Visual Assist X content

this will make our listboxes stand out a little bit more. We are trying to "blend into" the IDE, so that things are not to obvious, not to overt.

Newly added symbols, are you seeing this problem with variables or functions, or both?
Is VA colouring these newly added symbols correctly?

Without more details and a better sense of exactly what you are doing I am not sure why they are not appearing in listboxes. We have made a couple of fixes internally for listboxes which might help here, which should be in the next build after 1731.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000