Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hajokirchhoff
Ketchup Master

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  11:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another feature I'd like to see:

Apply the VisualAssist coloring to the build output. Colors are great, but my output window still looks like this:

1> c:\\users\\hajo kirchhoff\\desktop\\prj\\r4000\\libs\\boost\\boost\\function\\function_template.hpp(1086): or 'boost::function<Signature> &boost::function<Signature>::operator =(boost::function<Signature>::clear_type *)'
1> with
1> [
1> Signature=void (const TestData &,std::wstring &)
1> ]

If it had colors like the code, I'd be able to read the errors much more quickly.

Regards

Hajo

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  04:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting idea. However thinking about this, it wouldn't be as simple to implement as it may seem first. We would need to recognize all error messages to distinguish the code or symbol names from the message parts to avoid coloring the words in the message as if would be a code. I mean you may use symbol name which are part of the error message string.

Another thing is there is an Error List Window

View -> Error List

which uses a listbox and I don't know if we can color this window.

It would definiately add value to the product but the question is that would it be enough to worth the effort?
Go to Top of Page

hajokirchhoff
Ketchup Master

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2010 :  08:33:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
We would need to recognize all error messages to distinguish the code or symbol names from the message parts. ..I mean you may use symbol name which are part of the error message string.

The chances of a collision are definitely there, but remote, I think. Plus: It looks as if all symbols in an error message are enclosed in ''.

Example:

'xyz' is not a member of 'abcd'.

As for the error list I find it of limited use anyway. It is no more than a quick overview and it shows only the first line of an error message.

Either the error is so simple that I can spot it right away - even without coloring - or the error is more complicated, but then I have to switch to the output window to find out more about it.

Errors that stem from templates would benefit greatly from colors.

So a first step could be to simply parse the error messages for symbols enclosed in quotes '' and color these. That would probably go a long way already.

What do you think?

Regards

Hajo
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  1:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are good points. I have put in a feature request to see what our developers make of it:

case=47604

However this is unlikely to be done any time soon, since applying syntax colouring to the IDE's output window is currently very hard.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

hajokirchhoff
Ketchup Master

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  02:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll wait, thanks :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly