Camel case spell checking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

julian2002

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  11:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
it would be nice to have this in a future release.

for example m_tehOjbect would produce the suggestion m_theObject.
or
CThsiClsas would suggest CThisClass.

It's very easy for spelling mistakes to be propagated and unnoticed thanks to auto completion and while fixing them using the refactor / rename functionality is trivial it can sometimes be tough to spot bugs caused by mixed correct and incorrect spellings.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2010 :  1:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am confused, VA does not spell check your source code, and these are clearly code names, not standard English words. Since they are code names, we cannot simply spell check them, since there is no reason to assume the parts of the word will be in the dictionary.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

julian2002

2 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  09:42:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
I realise that it's probably a new feature, although VA does have the 'Underline spelling errors in comments and strings using <colour>' so i guess there is some form of spell checking going on in there.

While the whole label m_theObject IS a 'code name' the component parts separated by the 'camel case' rules rather than spaces ARE plain English m_ could be safely ignored if found and 'the' and 'Object' are legitimate English language words.

so if i typed m_tehObject the camel case rules would split the member into m_, teh and Object. m_ would be ignored, teh would be recognised as a common misspelling of 'the' and 'Object' would pass ok -giving the suggestion 'm_theObject'.

It's very rare that I use non standard English words in my code as I am part of a team and clear member names produce more readable code and explain my intent to other team members. In the rare occasion that non standard English words ARE used, splitting the words in the above described manner would make adding words to the dictionary fairly simple. Of course once the member is declared the existing spell checking would make more sense.

Hope that's clarified my suggestion a bit more. Just something I came across and thought would be a useful addition.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2010 :  1:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The more I think about this, the more sense it makes. I have put in a feature request to see what our developers make of it. I am not sure we will every try to do this, but it is an interesting idea

case=47704

Go to Top of Page

hfrmobile
Ketchup Master

Austria
79 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  07:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would be helpful for us and a lot of developers since typos in code are harder to fix (e.g. when a interface is released to many customers)

The feature request looks like Microsoft's FxCop and StyleCop (in the .NET world of C#)

Visual Assist X for C/C++ and ReSharper, FxCop and StyleCop for C#, Eclipse Ganymede for Java
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  11:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Useful to know, thank you. I have added a note to the case about this.

Go to Top of Page

hfrmobile
Ketchup Master

Austria
79 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  3:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot!

Visual Assist X for C/C++ and ReSharper, FxCop and StyleCop for C#, Eclipse Ganymede for Java
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000