Technical Support
 make Code Definition Window show definition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MasterDDT

3 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  2:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I put the caret on a symbol in the main code window, I'd like the Code Definition Window to show the definition (basically do an Alt+G). From reading the official VS description of it, it sounds like thats not what it does.

Is this possible through a VX window? Otherwise would it be a simple feature add?

FYI, I'm trying to move my team off Source Insight, but they want feature parity and this is the last thing missing :-(

Edited by - MasterDDT on Aug 07 2010 2:50:20 PM

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  6:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have definition field which can basically shows the first line of the definition, so contains all important information: the type of the symbol, the initial value, etc. Even works on local symbols and function parameters.

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/definition.asp

Visual Studio has code definition window which can show more lines and got reliable in VS2010:

View -> Code Definition Window
Go to Top of Page

MasterDDT

3 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  8:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I guess the more I use the VS Code Definition Window, it seems like it does work in simple cases of clicking on a local symbol and showing the defintion a few lines up. But even clicking on a method that is defined a few lines up doesnt appear.

Is there a way I can submit this for a feature request? Alt+G works great for pretty much everything, managed and native, so I really want a window that just does the Alt+G for me.

Edited by - MasterDDT on Aug 08 2010 8:34:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

accord
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
3287 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  1:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which Visual Studio version are you using? Code definition window has some limitations but it should work basically.
Feature requests are added by us after it has been discussed in their topic so we know enough information about them.
Go to Top of Page

MasterDDT

3 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  4:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm using VS 2010. So if I create a new project and use the CDW, it seems to work (finds local and global symbols). So perhaps I just have old cache/settings on my other project. I'll try to find out how to clear VS's cache for the CDW.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18950 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To rebuild VA's symbol database simply press the button:

VA Options -> Performance -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart the IDE.

To rebuild the IDE's symbol database close the IDE / solution, and delete the .sdf file in the solutions base directory. The IDE will rebuild this file when you reload the solution.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000