VAX 1212: Listboxes still disappear prematurely
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  12:06:59 AM  Show Profile
At least for me, they do it almost everytime I try to use the up and down arrows to select an option. I'm using VS .NET 2003. Does it happen to somebody else? I cannot think of a particular reason, but if it's not general, I'll have to try to isolate the circumstances that might cause it.

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  04:30:47 AM  Show Profile
It happens for me too. And I wrote about this long time ago - when VAX build number was 1205 - nothing was changed. Sometimes it looks like that our posts are ignored by WholeTomato's developers

IAF
Go to Top of Page

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  05:52:28 AM  Show Profile
They do read them. If you take a look at the notes on the release for build 1212, you will see they have read it and they even think they have fixed it. Unfortunately, things are not always fixed when you think they are (I could write a book about that). :-(
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  12:10:38 PM  Show Profile
We read every post -- usually many times. We don't reply with, "we will fix the problem." That goes without saying. We reply when we need more information or can provide anything of value to you. That way, we limit what everyone needs to read, and we keep superfluous replies from becoming "active." (We often view Active Topics.)

We thought we fixed the dissappearing listbox for good in 1212. Obviously not. Unfortunately, we cannot make a listbox dissappear with arrow keys in 1212. Nothing we try does it.

Can you give us some clues? Is the behavior consistent?

Does the behavior depend on the setting of "Use default Intellisense" in VAssistX|Options|Text Editor|C/C++?

VA X clears its listboxes and tooltips when it senses a change in focus. It does this since it's not supposed to exist in the first place. Might it be you have another add-in or product that sniffs for arrow keys? If so, see if disabling the other software helps.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  1:32:31 PM  Show Profile
It happens to me all the time, with or without default intellisense. I also tried setting the 'double effective rate of key repeat' option, but nothing changed. I have no other plugin, except for Visual SourceSafe. It seems as if the edit view 'sees' the keypress before and 'claims it', thus getting the focus. The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with some kind of timing, because sometimes it seems to depend on how fast you release the cursor key after pressing it.
I'm sorry I can't give you anything more helpful. Anyway, I keep watching it, so if I observe some other possible clue, I'll let you know.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  3:23:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
... it seems to depend on how fast you release the cursor key after pressing it.

We tried Up and Down Arrow. We press quickly. We press and hold. Everything works as expected.

Does the problem occur only with suggestion listboxes, ie those that appear after you type just a few characters?

Any chance the problem isolated to member listboxes, ie those that appear when you type a symbol and -> or dot?

Go to Top of Page

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  4:14:19 PM  Show Profile
It happens with both. I have just noticed that they stay a bit longer if I disable the default Intellisense and the suggest bits of code from surrounding lines options, but after a few key presses, they go anyway. Also, it always happens at the release of the key, not at the pressing. In fact, with those options disabled, I can hold the down key and scroll through all the members in the listbox, but if I do repeated pressings, it goes away after two or three.
I don't think that this is the problem, but FYI, I'm working on a 1600x1200 res, with a rather small bitmap font (a slight variation of the terminal font), but it doesn't seem to cause any problem to syntax colouring, or the positioning of the listboxes or tooltips.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  4:37:27 PM  Show Profile
Though we do not see how it could be related, do you mind trying a different font?

Do any of your Keyboard Properties effect the behavior?

Go to Top of Page

pabloari

Spain
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2004 :  6:34:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I've got some more info for you. The font doesn't matter. I suspected the keyboard, so I changed my wonderful Logitech wireless keyboard for a dull Dell wired keyboard and, Surprise! Now member listboxes work like a charm, but suggestion ones are still laughing at me. Anyway, I really need to disable 'default Intellisense' and 'suggest bits of code from surrounding lines ' if I want member listboxes always to pop up correctly. It seems they have less priority that the other, and I think they should always be the winners after a '.' or a '->'. In fact, now I have the feeling that half of the problem is caused by different kinds of listboxes fighting each other. The other half apparently depends on the keyboard. Could it be that your code reacts like that if, for example, it receives mutiple keydown and keyup events that are not matched correctly one to one, or something like that?
Go to Top of Page

Ivan A. Fotan
Ketchup Master

Ukraine
67 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2004 :  05:18:32 AM  Show Profile
for support:
it happens for me too, so if you need I can make a log of messages of editor's window, if it can helps.

IAF
Go to Top of Page

Erik Olofsson
Tomato Guru

111 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2004 :  06:00:14 AM  Show Profile
This still happens if the Ouput window is updated a fixed amount of time after the suggestion box has appeared (The one that comes up after you press . or -> after a variable).

I can always reproduce it if while I'm compiling a project and it's currently compiling many files in fast succession. If it's "Generationg Code..." while the suggestion box appears and the Output isn't updated for about a second the suggestion box will not dissapear.

I have the Output window on a secondary monitor diffrent from the one that shows the Editor.

Cutting Edge Project Management
http://www.hansoft.se
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2004 :  10:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Mind enabling logging on the Performance tab of the VA options dialog and reproducing the problem, then close the ide. This will create a file c:\\va.log, please zip and send to [email protected].

Go to Top of Page

Erik Olofsson
Tomato Guru

111 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2004 :  10:48:19 AM  Show Profile
I have sent a logfile. It appear I had to be within a function parameter list for this to happen:

CString Str;
Str.GetString(Str.);

Cutting Edge Project Management
http://www.hansoft.se
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2004 :  1:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the log files.

We believe the problem is fixed in build 1213.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000