When will Alt-G work again?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  07:31:46 AM  Show Profile
I am getting bored waiting for some progress on the Alt-G issue. It is as badly broken in build 1218 as ever. I know VAX is in Beta, but unless there is some hope of progress in this area I am (regretfully) going to have to withdraw from the Beta programme and reinstall my beloved VA6.

Basically, when I press alt-G (Goto Implementation), VAX just beeps. If I press it again, only *then* will it goto the definition or implementation. Alternatively, if I hover over the caret for a while *before* pressing Alt-G, then it will goto the definition straight away.

The other thing that is killing my enjoyment of this product is the broken "next/previous by context" feature. It is broken in the same way as alt-G, and then some! Often it will either a) beep, or b) leave the context and find the symbol somewhere else, or c) display a spurious error message, or d) place you in a random location in the file. And on top of all this, it is *slow*.

Please, please Mr Whole Tomato, can you confirm that you are working on these issues? I'm getting *very* frustrated...

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  11:45:18 AM  Show Profile
We cannot reproduce the Alt+G or "find by context" problems. We believe if the problems were common, many people would complain. We see nobody has replied to your earlier post:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1615

Something must be different in your environment that is causing the problems. Let us try to find the culprit.

Do you have any other add-ins or packages installed?
What IDE and OS do you use?
In what language are your programming and do the problems occur in other languages?
Does the Alt+G problem occur if you use the mouse to select a symbol and/or arrow keys to select?
Do the problems occur if you use a default key mapping scheme? (Try temporarily at least.)
Anything unusual about your keyboard or language settings?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  11:55:57 AM  Show Profile
do you use

#if 0
// chunk of code
#endif

blocks a lot? i have seen problems with VAX 1216 and this in my code. specifically the member list feature jumps to the wrong place if your jump point is below the #if 0 block.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  12:01:24 PM  Show Profile
Problems caused by #if 0 should be eliminated in build 1218.

Go to Top of Page

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  2:28:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the response! Its good to hear someone take an interest.

> Do you have any other add-ins or packages installed?
>
Yes, I have the following addins installed:
CVSIn
Rationa Rose Visual C++ Addin
TestTrack Pro Developer Studio Add-In
WndTabs
However, disabling them all makes no difference to the behavior

> What IDE and OS do you use?
>
I am using VC6, on W2K

> In what language are your programming and do the
> problems occur in other languages?
>
I am programming in C++. I do not use other languages

> Does the Alt+G problem occur if you use the mouse
> to select a symbol and/or arrow keys to select?
>
Curiously, it appears only to happen when I use the mouse to select. Using the arrow keys, it appears to work fine.

> Do the problems occur if you use a default key mapping scheme?
> (Try temporarily at least.)
>
Yes, the Alt+G problem does occur using the default kep mapping. As for the find next/previous, I think they have no default key binding so I cannot test them.

During testing, I have discovered that if I use the find next/previous by context toolbar buttons, they work fine, but if I use accelerator key bindings *then* I get the bug I have reported! I normally have ctrl+alt+left bound to "find previous" and ctrl+alt+right bound to "find next", and I am so used to using these that I never thought to try the buttons. Sorry about that.

> Anything unusual about your keyboard or language settings?
>
Keyboard and language is English (UK).

Thanks again for your interest!

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2004 :  2:50:15 PM  Show Profile
This is probably a wild goose chase, but I'm wondering if you see the same problems with a "pristine" Wizard-created project? I mean, try creating an MFC project using the "File, New" menu item, "Projects" tab, then select the "MFC AppWizard (exe)" item in the list, and accept all defaults on the Wizard. Does it misbehave the same way? Just a thought...
Go to Top of Page

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  05:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Larry,

I created a virginal project, and I do seem to be able to replicate the problems quite easily:

For "alt+g"

1) Create a virginal MFC appwizard project
2) Make sure the VA View pane is showing (this seems to be important - alt+G works much better if the HCB is not visible)
3) Open the CWinApp derived .cpp file & scroll down to the InitInstance method
4) Click on on the "cmdInfo" symbol on line 92 ("ParseCommandLine(cmdInfo);") to place the caret, and leave the cursor over the caret until the HCB on the VA View updates to show the CCommandLineInfo class.
5) Move the cursor to line 105 (just below the InitInstance function), but do not click. The HCB does not change, and remains showing the CCommandLineInfo class
6) Press Alt+G - it beeps
7) Press Alt+G again - the cursor goes to line 91 ("CommandLineInfo cmdInfo;")

And for "find next/previous",

8) Repeat steps 4&5
9) With "Find Next By Context" bount to ctrl+alt+right, press ctrl+alt+right - The find next funtion fails (what behaviour follows is then dependant on previous activity, as described in my earlier post on this topic, but generally it tries to find a previously successfull search string)

This behaviour is completely repeatable for me.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  10:36:47 AM  Show Profile
I did the "Alt-G" test as you specified, and it misbehaves exactly as you describe!

With the caret in the middle of 'cmdInfo' on line 92, the rule seems to be:

1). If your cursor is hovering over any line of code, Alt-G works the first time.

2). If the cursor is hovering over a comment, Alt-G fails silently (no beep) the first time, but works the second time, *BUT* only if you don't do the second Alt-G too soon after the first one.

3). If the cursor is hovering over whitespace, Alt-G fails and beeps the first time, but works the second time, *BUT* only if you don't do the second Alt-G too soon after the first one.

I didn't check the "find/next previous" scenario...
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  11:29:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the detailed steps.

Will be fixed in 1219.

Edited by - support on Mar 03 2004 12:20:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

kevinsikes
Tomato Guru

USA
271 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for tracking this down. My Alt+G was broken in build 1215, and I went back to VA6 because I had to get some work done. My apologies to Asmout for not reporting this sooner and making you feel alone in this issue!

Kevin Sikes
Infotainment Platform Design Engineer
Ford Motor Company
Go to Top of Page

dingweed

37 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  4:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Can't you guys use F12 button of VS? It does the same thing as Alt-G. I always use F12 for some reason.
Go to Top of Page

Old as dirt
Tomato Guru

USA
246 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  6:59:53 PM  Show Profile
dingweed, thanks for that suggestion. I had forgotten about F12.
Ken

Ken
Go to Top of Page

asmout
Ketchup Master

58 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2004 :  8:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Actually, one of the things that attracted me to VA in the first place was the ability to navigate code without the whole VS "build using Browse Information" thing. I always have browse information turned off, so F12 won't work for me.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18940 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  07:36:05 AM  Show Profile
i didn't know about F12, so i just tried it. after "hanging" for about a minute VS gave me a pick list of options, since it didn't know where i wanted to go. in comparison VAX jumped to the declaration after a couple of seconds.

i think i will stick to VAX and alt_g

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2004 :  11:54:18 PM  Show Profile
Alt+G improved in build 1219.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked