Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solosnake
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2004 :  06:52:28 AM  Show Profile
Hello

I have encountered this problem often when using VA. When calling a C++ function from within a namespace or class it is considered good modern C++ practise to qualify its scope (this prevents name clashes and makes it explicit which function is being called). It is also sometimes required (see below).

e.g. to call a global scope function from within a class method, prefix the function name with the scope operator ::

// Global function.
void MyFunction();

// Class member function.
void MyClass::MyFunction()
{
    // Call the global function MyFunction, not the class method. 
    ::MyFunction();
}    ^
     ^
     ^
     ^
 App freezes here

This is the error I am having: whenever I try and type the scope operator, I can only insert a single semi-colon. The application freezes as I am typing, and never returns - all work is lost, and I need to kill Visual Studio using CTRL-ALT-DEL. As a result this is a very dangerous bug. It prevents me writing the code I need to write, and also losses all unsaved code up until that point.

I can repeat the bug in my code, however I cannot create a simple example that does it - presumably it is related to the complexity of headers or number of items that are in the global scope, as VA is crashes when attempting to display the list of items?

Thanks for your help,

Daire

Version Info (note: I have removed my e-mailing addess)
=======================================================
Language: C++

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1289.0
Licensed to:
VA X: email address removed (1-user license) Support ends 2005.07.28
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.0.9466.0
msenv.dll version 1.0.5849.1
Font: Courier 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2800.1106
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (October 2004)\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2004)\\Include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net\\vc7\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net\\vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net\\vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
c:\\program files\\microsoft.net\\sdk\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net\\vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
c:\\program files\\microsoft visual studio .net\\vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

Edited by - WannabeeDeveloper on Dec 15 2004 12:15:55 PM

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2004 :  09:41:51 AM  Show Profile
Maybe you're not being patient enough? I notice that the very first time I type "::" (or, by mistake, ".."), the IDE freezes for as long as a minute while it does whatever it does. I don't know if it's VAX or the IDE. After that first time though, it behaves normally. Try letting it run for 10 minutes once, and see if it ever actually comes back.

Also, when you said "a single semi-colon", did you mean "colon"??

Go to Top of Page

chas

17 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2004 :  1:10:15 PM  Show Profile
We had that behavior too. Our best hypothesis was that it was VS.NET's default intellisense, so we deleted our project's .ncb file, replaced it with a 0-byte placeholder file of the same name, and marked it as read-only.

We get a mildly obnoxious modal dialog (telling us it's read-only) on project load, but we skip past it and everything works at full speed.

HTH,
chas
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2004 :  4:33:36 PM  Show Profile
i have seen .NET 2003 freeze like this even without VAX installed when typing ::, or anything else that triggers a completion listbox for the first time. it seems that when the IDE starts parsing it simply will not stop until it has finished *sigh*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2004 :  11:23:01 PM  Show Profile
We let the IDE handle :: and it requires a lot of processing the first time it's run. We use the read-only NCB file to avoid the annoyance. Others delete their NCB files once in a while -- they get corrupted quite easily.
Go to Top of Page

SuperBug
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2005 :  07:11:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I was just googling about this ...

It's definitely a problem with IntelliSense. It's the use of namespaces that causes the IDE to freeze. I can easily "fix" the problem by not using namespaces and I can just as easily recreate the problem by introducing namespaces (two in the same file are enough). I never had this problem when my code wasn't namespaced.

And it's not a problem with Visual Assist, though. I tried VA exactly for that reason, in hopes that it will replace the IntelliSense completely. Just deleting the NCB file also doesn't help in this particular situation.

I'll try the proposed solution - I really hope it works (thanks!).
Go to Top of Page

laeus

2 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2005 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile
I started having a lock-up problem when trying to work in a particular file. The project I work on is huge, so it's not surprising that some add-ins have issues, but this was the first time I had a reliable freezing problem. I disabled three things in VS.Net's C/C++ text editor options:

General -> Auto list members
General -> Parameter information
Formatting -> Enable automatic Quick Info ToolTips

This seemed to get rid of the problem for me. Incidentally, a coworker noticed that, at the bottom of that file, we had:

// <classname>::

He says that he removed the "::" and has not experienced a lock-up since. Strange, considering it's in a comment field.

Perhaps something here will prove useful to someone. :)

--
Marcin Szymanski
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000