Context dropdown content
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Racey

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  7:03:16 PM  Show Profile
This seems to be a case where programming style and VA collide.

I'm working with files written by a co-worker whose coding style is to have first level statements unindented. So, his code looks something like this:

void funct1()
{
int a;

a = 1;
if (a) {
a = 0;
}
}

int funct2()
{
static int b = 0;

if (b == 100) {
b = 0;
}
else {
b++;
}
return b;
}

My problem is the VA Context dropdown list may not reveal the function names beyond the first. It might display as

funct1
if

rather than

funct1
funct2

Files with many methods might display a few function names scattered through a list of conditionals--It will display only the first conditional in the function, the statement is "if," "while," "for," "switch," and etc. It doesn't appear random, as the functions will be listed the same way each time the file is closed and re-opened.

David

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2004 :  7:59:46 PM  Show Profile
We pasted your example into a cpp file and the "List of methods in current file" appears fine. We get funct1 and funct2.

Do we not understand the problem?

Might you have over-simplified the example? Does the dropdown work if you paste your own example into a different cpp file?

Use the [ code] and [ /code] tags in a post, without the space after the [, to show us exact formatting.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Racey

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2004 :  12:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, it appears this over simplified it. I will try getting a screen shot later on today.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2004 :  1:52:44 PM  Show Profile
Try for a code sample that reproduces the problem. We believe it exists. We just need a way to reproduce it.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Racey

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2004 :  3:45:48 PM  Show Profile
I looked over the code and found out when it occurs. I was able to reproduce it thus:

struct testing {
int one;
};

void funct1() {
struct testing a;
a.one = 1;
if (a.one) {
funct2(a);
}
}

void funct2(*tester)
struct testing *tester;
{
int b;
b = tester->one;
if (b) {
b++;
}
}

The list displays funct1, but funct2 appears as "if." In the code I inherited and I see this occuring, sure enough, every method where the conditional is the representative, the method is defined with the style of funct2.

This brings me to another issue. VA fails to identify the parameter in funct2--That is, the definition box appears blank. Auto-complete will not work and, if the parameter is a class or struct, no list of members gets displayed. When I typed the sample above, it worked fine for a second, then decided tester was not recognized in funct2.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000