Technical Support
 VAX 1230: Saving a large file
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EduardoVelasquez

12 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  11:01:50 AM  Show Profile
Saving a large file (4200+ lines... I know don't blame me!) takes a very long time and the tabbar(Task List, Output, etc) starts flickering like crazy. This didn't happen before and doesn't happen when VAX is disabled. BTW, I'm using VS2003

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  11:33:30 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm... I just saved my 9676-line file (don't get me started) with no problems. Have you tried the normal IDE stuff (delete the NCB file, etc.), and the normal VAX stuff (Rebuild, Clear, etc.)?
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  1:22:05 PM  Show Profile
I too have large source files and don't seem to have any problems with them. What's wrong with large source files? With all the editor stuff these days it doesn't really matter if your code is in one file or scattered throughout many files. Though I guess there are 10000 line files that are nice and tidy and easy to navigate and then there are 10000 line files that make your brain hemmorage.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2004 :  2:36:11 PM  Show Profile
"Why, then, 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." (http://www.robinprior.net/articles/hamlet.html) That's all well and good, but in the "Big Ball of Mud" trenches where I slog (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BigBallOfMud), a 10,000 line file is, more often than not, an indicator that someone, somewhere, had no clue what they were doing. Life may be better in your domain... "to me it is a prison."
Go to Top of Page

EduardoVelasquez

12 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  10:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Deleted NCB, cleared VAX cache, rebuilt VAX database... same thing. To notice: the tabbar flickers like crazy and then the ide is irresponsive for several seconds while the CPU is pegged at 97%. This happens in a header file that contains 100+ class declarations with a lot of inlined members.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  1:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Can you enable logging on the performance tab of the VA options dialog and reproduce the problem and close the IDE. This will create two files c:\\va.log and c:\\VAssist.log, please zip and send to [email protected].

Thanks,
Support

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

EduardoVelasquez

12 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  10:39:03 AM  Show Profile
I changed some VAX options, rebuilt the database and the problem went away. Unfortunately I wasn't very careful so I cannot tell what fixed the problem. As soon as I have time I will try to reproduce it and then I'll send you the log files.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000