Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  2:05:45 PM  Show Profile
this is a good one

using VS .NET 2003 and VAX 1230

first make sure that the horizontal scroll bar is turned on and visible at the bottom of the edit window.

now i make an edit to one of my cpp files, eg add and then remove a blank line. now compile and run the program.

while the program is running i have two "panes" locked at the bottom of the window. Locals etc in the bottom left hand corner and Output etc in the bottom right hand corner.

quit the program and return to VS. the horizontal scroll bar is no longer visible, and if i move to the bottom line on the screen then the cursor and the text is slightly off the bottom of the screen.

it looks as if the horizontal scroll bar has been shifted downwards by the height of the VAX Context and Definition fields. i have this bar docked at the top of the screen.

this does not happen if i compile and run with VAX disabled.

to make the horizontal scroll bar reappear either:
a) disable and then re-enable VAX
b) open vax options and then press cancel to quit them.

now i have worked out the pattern this is 100% reproducible. this only effects the current tab. change to another open cpp file and the horizontal scroll bar is visible. change back, and it is hidden again.

i think this is new in 1230 since i dont recall seeing until the last day or so.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  2:10:57 PM  Show Profile
following a typo in my code, i have just found that this does not happen if there is an error compiling my program.

the compiler output and error list are both set to auto hide, so the position of the horizontal scroll bar doesn't have to change when this happens. i am guessing that changing the position of the scroll bar is the trigger.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  06:03:38 AM  Show Profile
it occured to me last night that i only noticed this effect after accidently using the keyboard shortcut ctrl_r+ctrl_r (toggle word wrap on and off). it is possible that this somehow triggered this effect.

normally i keep wordwrap turned off.

Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  5:21:52 PM  Show Profile
I have seen this effect, too. But, I never use ctrl-r, ctrl-r. I just thought it was a VS bug. Never tried to track it down. BTW, a way to get the scrollbar back is to just make one of your horizontal windows locked, and then unlock it again. It seems to only happen to me when I have some auto-hide windows on the bottom of the window.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2004 :  05:34:37 AM  Show Profile
i currently have 6 auto hide windows at the bottom of the window, and sometimes i have 7. i am not that keen to remove all of these, or to lock them *shrug*

Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2004 :  10:32:15 AM  Show Profile
No. You only have to lock one. Then, you can unlock it. This puts the scrollbar back (for a while, anyway).

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2004 :  11:37:27 AM  Show Profile
i am guessing that as a perminant fix (at least for now) i would have to keep at least one of the windows locked. i suppose this might be ok if i made it very small...

its worth a try

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  07:53:29 AM  Show Profile
i havent got around to locking a window at the bottom, and the horizontal scroll bar still disapears in 1233. as before, disable VAX and the scroll bar stays put.

Go to Top of Page

sequence

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - May 03 2004 :  09:48:14 AM  Show Profile
Using VA 7.1, I also experienced this problem. I'm working around it by unmaximizeing the VS .NET window, and then maximize it again.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 03 2004 :  10:59:17 PM  Show Profile
We cannot yet reproduce this problem. We must not understand the setup.

Can someone send us a zipped screen shot of the minimal window layout to reproduce the problem?

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - May 04 2004 :  12:53:06 AM  Show Profile
I would bet you understand the setup. Just that you don't know the trigger. Neither do I. If I figure it out, you'll be the first to know.

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 04 2004 :  05:31:55 AM  Show Profile
a zip file holding 4 screen shots showing before, during compiling, during running and afterwards has just been emailed.

hopefully our email server is still working

if there is any problem i can re-send since i have saved the zip file for reference.

i haven't tried closing all of the auto hide windows in the screen shot, but i can if it is likely to help. the only one i cannot get rid of is "Document Outline". i opened it by mistake, and it simply will not open or respond, so i am unable to close it

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  06:55:49 AM  Show Profile
i have just received a message from our email server that the email i sent to you on 23rd April (about the scope jumping problem) wasn't delivered

it could have told me a bit sooner! so i wont be surprised if the email i send didn't reach you. if it didn't, i will resend it from home.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  09:20:24 AM  Show Profile
We actually did get the zip and have a fix in build 1235. 1235 is still being tested, however you are welcome to give it a try.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1235.exe

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  11:34:37 AM  Show Profile
based on an initial test this is fixed in 1235

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic