Technical Support
 VAX parsing all files when opening vs.net
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2004 :  2:07:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm using VAX 1246 and VS.NET 2003 on Windows 2000.

When I start the IDE up and open a project, it seems to be parsing all the headers in the include directories (the standard windows header files, not my project files). This takes a huge amount of time and seems like it doesn't need to be done each time the ide starts since these files haven't changed. Is there anything I can do about this?

I do have the box "Parse all files when opening a project" checked, but the help for it says it only applies to my project files "Parse all files within a project...".

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  5:58:44 PM  Show Profile
if you are programming in C or C++ you could try adding adding these directories to the list of stable include files

http://66.150.196.105/products/features/directories.html?more=yes

i have reparse all files turned on, and while quite a few files do get reparsed, these directories are left alone on my machine.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2004 :  11:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I'm doing C++. I have all the directories listed in the stable include files. I have nothing in my other include files. All the includes/source files match the ones in the vs.net options dialog. Any other ideas?
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2004 :  02:53:35 AM  Show Profile
VAX does parse those files every week or so (on my machine).
It does NOT parse them at every start of Visual Studio... at least not here.

Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2004 :  07:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I'll try and track when it happens.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2004 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile
To make it more confusing, there are different levels of parsing. In the lightest case, VA X parses cached versions of your source files. This one is very quick, and occurs for files in your project not touched since you last loaded your IDE. In other cases, parsing requires access to your source files. Our "Parsing" message appears in both cases.

In all cases, parsing is much lighter than that associated with a traditional parser/compiler. You know how long that takes. VA X does not have to generate object code.
Go to Top of Page

nalenb

48 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2004 :  08:48:59 AM  Show Profile
K, it does seem like it's doing it every week, however, on the day it decides to reparse everything (Friday for me) it does it every time I start VS.NET. Does it really need to do this?

VS.NET 2003, VAX 1246, Windows 2000
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000