Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dEUs

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  12:14:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi VA-Team,
How to get VA X running in Visual Studio 2005?

dEUs

Edited by - support on Apr 21 2005 5:30:00 PM

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  12:19:08 PM  Show Profile
That's not (yet) possible!

Go to Top of Page

dEUs

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  12:26:29 PM  Show Profile
*sigh*
When will it be?
VS 2005 is so uncolored without VA :(

dEUs
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  12:35:47 PM  Show Profile
remember that 2005 is still a BETA, so it is effectively a moving target.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

dEUs

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  12:44:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't know, what you mean with "moving target" (I'm not a native english-speaker), but I guess, you mean, that the definition for AddIns in VS 2005 could change again?It's possible, but I think the changes wouldn't be too big. And you would have made a costumer happy :)

dEUs

Edited by - dEUs on Sep 24 2004 2:44:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  2:39:10 PM  Show Profile
<Smiling, while looking around for a rock...>

Yes, and where's that space station you keep promising me?
Go to Top of Page

dEUs

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2004 :  2:44:17 PM  Show Profile
You will get it, when I get my VS2005-support ;)

dEUs
Go to Top of Page

msew
Ketchup Master

94 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2004 :  6:41:59 PM  Show Profile
Just imagine if VS2005 had VA X support perhaps they could keep the oxygen makers working in the ISS!
Go to Top of Page

msew
Ketchup Master

94 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2004 :  09:34:23 AM  Show Profile
So because 10+ days have past and there is 10.1 release coming soon for VA X :-) Are there any new updates on how hard it would be to get VA X working in Visual Studio 2005? Visual Studio fixes a number of compiler bugs and is pretty stable and the new team system stuff is pretty neat. I think a lot of us would like to use 2005 and be able to help make things better with submitting bugs and feature requests.

Also microsoft seems really intent on getting community feedback and fixing broken items in this release. Getting Visual Assist in early would allow Whole Tomato to make the most of this beta / happy fixy fix period!

The issue being: it is really hard to work in Visual Studio 2005 without Visual Assist.

I have REAL issues coding without Visual Assist. Speaking for most everyone here, we need our crack in Visual Studio 2005!! PLEASE GIVE US OUR CRACK!!!! :-)
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2004 :  10:02:15 AM  Show Profile
We appreciate your necessity. We take it as a compliment.

Support for VS2005 is on our list of things to do. It's tougher than it looks from the outside. Several changes will make integration a bit tricky.

Rough estimate is early 2005.
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2004 :  10:49:53 AM  Show Profile
<... Still looking for that rock... Ah, there it is...>

First of all, if WT starts working on VS2005 while it's still in Beta, while also trying to get VAX finished for the three existing IDEs they're trying to support, I will personally pay for their electro-shock therapy, as this will be prima facie evidence that they have lost their ever-lovin' minds.

Second of all, the last two versions of the IDE have been close to unusable, UI-wise, and give the appearance of having been coded by a team of retarded howler-monkeys hopped up on goofballs. So excuse me if I don't get all a-twitter about VS2005. If we had any sense, we'd all still be working in VC6, the last IDE that actually worked correctly.

So let's let WT focus on the IDEs that we're all currently using (or trying to use) for now... If recent history is any indicator, VS2005 will be even worse than VS2003, anyway, so what's the rush?

<... putting down rock...>

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

dEUs

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2004 :  11:00:58 AM  Show Profile
Indeed, I'm very happy, that this is just your opinion ... I don't know what problems you are having with the UI of VS2002/3/5 ...

dEUs
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2004 :  12:12:03 PM  Show Profile
In my opinion, VA will obviously have to support VS 2005 soon, but I hope they will spend a bit of time clearing up bugs in the existing product first. That's more of a priority for me, anyway.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2004 :  1:25:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dEUs

Indeed, I'm very happy, that this is just your opinion ... I don't know what problems you are having with the UI of VS2002/3/5 ...

Uh-oh... just don't ask.

Larry, please, put away that stone... No, please, Larry...

Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2004 :  1:35:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by WannabeeDeveloper

quote:
Originally posted by dEUs

Larry, please, put away that stone... No, please, Larry...

So you didnt mention my bazooka... Let me just quickly get my list of complaints. I had to move it to the backyard due to its size...
Go to Top of Page

ether
Tomato Guru

USA
130 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2004 :  4:15:23 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

First of all, if WT starts working on VS2005 while it's still in Beta, while also trying to get VAX finished for the three existing IDEs they're trying to support, I will personally pay for their electro-shock therapy, as this will be prima facie evidence that they have lost their ever-lovin' minds.

Second of all, the last two versions of the IDE have been close to unusable, UI-wise, and give the appearance of having been coded by a team of retarded howler-monkeys hopped up on goofballs. So excuse me if I don't get all a-twitter about VS2005. If we had any sense, we'd all still be working in VC6, the last IDE that actually worked correctly.

So let's let WT focus on the IDEs that we're all currently using (or trying to use) for now... If recent history is any indicator, VS2005 will be even worse than VS2003, anyway, so what's the rush?

LMFAO!!! Retarded howler monkeys! That's got to be one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

Anyway, I still do use VS6. I refuse to use the hack know as VS .NET <insert year here> because it has no continuity. As soon as you open a different type of file, all your toolbars change and rearrange - yeah, that's helpful. That interface is terrible.
Go to Top of Page

Kippesoep

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2004 :  11:18:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Uniwares
Let me just quickly get my list of complaints. I had to move it to the backyard due to its size...

I'm actually quite interested in this. I haven't bought VC.NET because there is no separate Pro version of VC++. Using the VC2k3 compiler with the VC6 IDE works quite well. VCExpress2k5 also seems usable (if ugly). What're the big problems with the VC.NET versions that make so many people complain about them?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2004 :  11:07:45 AM  Show Profile
personally, my major complaint about .NET 2003 is that the steaming pile of #### just stops dead for up to 1 or 2 minutes (literally) several times a day. it did that before i discovered VAX, and it does it to everyone else at work to, so i know it isn't related to VAX or just my machine.

this normally happens in the middle of typing a word, so it rather breaks into my flow, irritates the hell out of me, and doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose.

i never really used VC6, so i cannot compare the two interfaces.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2004 :  1:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Grasping for straws...

You might try deleting NCB files. VS.NET will rebuild them.

Another option is to make NCB files zero length and read-only. Just ignore the warning when the IDE starts.
Go to Top of Page

SiberianHotDog
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2005 :  01:00:47 AM  Show Profile
any news on this? the new visual studio will ship this year - when can we expect a public alpha/beta of the new visual assist?
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2005 :  04:53:42 AM  Show Profile
I still hope they'll do more work on the bugs first.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2005 :  03:35:19 AM  Show Profile
Dear SiberianHotDog,

I guess, you took support's words a little bit too literaly:
quote:
Rough estimate is early 2005.

I thing they didn't mean January first when they wrote "early 2005".

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

tanuki

8 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  10:53:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard

Here are some compelling reasons for c++ programmers to use the beta.

1. Proper debugger support for iterators. This means that if you type
for(vector<string>::iterator iter = mystrings.begin(); iter != mystrings.end(); ++iter)
{
//do stuff
}

you can view the contents of the iterator by hovering over it, or by putting it in the watch window.

2. Proper debugger support of stl containers. You can look at the contents of a container by hovering or watching.

3. Proper support of long stl strings. Instead of pulling up the memory window and looking for the address of the string and painfully piecing it together, you click on a little icon, and a text viewer pops up, your choice of a plain text viewer, and xml viewer, or an html viewer.

These are pretty important features, to me, at least, and I'm going without VAX because they're so important to me....
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2005 :  1:53:37 PM  Show Profile
while all of this does sound appealing, the fact remains there are plenty to things to fix in VAX using the currently supported IDE's, and 2005 is still in beta. also remember that given how reluctant many people are to move on from VC6, they may not exactly be rushing to move to 2005 when it does finally ship for real.

Go to Top of Page

msew
Ketchup Master

94 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2005 :  6:41:52 PM  Show Profile
oh gosh why are people reluctant to move from vc6? vc6 was bad back in the day and it still is bad!

die vc6 die I say!

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2005 :  2:44:51 PM  Show Profile
look around the forum a bit for the comments on .NET 2003. there is a general feeling that VC6 was a lot more usable, and thus productive.

i never used it enough to have an opinion on the subject, but i do have a great long list of things about .NET 2003 i hate, due to using it *shrug*

Go to Top of Page

tanuki

8 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  11:21:08 AM  Show Profile
What I don't get is that people can _choose_ their ide. I'm told what ide to use by my company (ok, I was allowed to use the beta versus 2003, but I haven't been given the option of using 6 for several years). And 6 didn't do a good job with stl, either.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2005 :  5:23:58 PM  Show Profile
if you do most of your development at home, or you are your own boss, then you are going to be able to choose your own IDE

also i get the sense that various people still using VC6 are doing so due to the difficulties in moving to a different IDE, given you have to convert all of the projects.

Go to Top of Page

tanuki

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2005 :  1:23:21 PM  Show Profile
I would have thought that most of the market would be people who code for a living, and that most of them would work for companies, rather than for themselves. I guess that's not the case.
Go to Top of Page

Kippesoep

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2005 :  2:40:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by msew

oh gosh why are people reluctant to move from vc6? vc6 was bad back in the day and it still is bad!

Why? I'll give you three reasons:
- I hate the VC.NET IDE
- It is quite possible to use the free command line compiler with VS6
- I can't afford to upgrade, even if I'd want to
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2005 :  2:58:47 PM  Show Profile
Guys, please... do not let this thread become a flamewar "Visual Studio 6 vs. Visual Studio .NET", okay?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000