Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2005 :  7:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh, why the hell not?

Actually, this is the second time I've heard tell of using the .NET compiler with the VS6 IDE. Anyone have any links for that? Just curious...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2005 :  08:06:34 AM  Show Profile
I've never had any issues with Visual Studio .NET 2003. One thing I am highly grateful is the dismission of that ClassWizard thingie. The code it generates is outright UGLY. If I want to create a simple class, a small #ifndef/#define section is enough to make it only compile once, or the use of "#pragma once". I don't want a multi-generated unique ID for my headers.

.NET 2003 works smoothly, generates clean and efficient code, doesn't add anything stupid in-between and works (most of the time) as it is supposed to. With the inclusion of better template support and generally a stricter C++ standard compliance, I have nothing to complain. Of course, the compliance issues can be fixed by having a .NET 2003 compiler bundled with VS6 as well.

-Alias
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2005 :  09:13:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alias

by having a .NET 2003 compiler bundled with VS6 as well.

Yeah, how do you do that?
Go to Top of Page

Kippesoep

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2005 :  10:04:20 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LarryLeonard
Yeah, how do you do that?

Check out http://www.sawtoothdistortion.com/Articles/FreeOptimizingCompiler.html for more information (near the bottom of the article). There's some pitfalls, though. Mainly the lack of not being able to use VS6's integrated debugger. You can always use the DDK debugger from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx.
Go to Top of Page

herc

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2005 :  09:00:12 AM  Show Profile
anyone out there tested the new FREE visual studio express?
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/

i did and found it to be working perfectly. i missed nothing.. optimizing compiler, debugger - all in there. but there is one thing missing, making this free compiler a more usable thing:

visual assist....

@wholetomato: imagine, all these students and other people spicing up there free compiler with visualassist.. for a fair price.. wouldnt this be worth starting development of va for vstudio 2005 immediately ?!?
i'm a happy consumer of va, cant live anymore without. so - to make that point - the only thing holding me back using vstudio 2005 is missing support of va for vs2005. please do that move - quick!!

p.s. why using vs2005 ? again improved c++ compiler, for example support vor variadic macros:

#define PRINT(...) printf(__VA_ARGS__)

#include <cstdio>

int main() {
PRINT("%c%c%c%c%c%c", 'H', 'e', 'l', 'l', 'o', ' ');
PRINT("%c%c%c%c%c%c%c", 'W', 'o', 'r', 'l', 'd', '!', '\\n');
}
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2005 :  10:34:37 AM  Show Profile
I remember years ago seeing a fake Microsoft Office box (or some MS product), with a sticker on the side that said, "Now Doesn't Suck!".

I'd be happy with that...
Go to Top of Page

Kippesoep

Netherlands
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2005 :  10:59:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by herc

anyone out there tested the new FREE visual studio express?
http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/

It's not free. It's a beta version. The final version will most likely not be free (but will probably not be very expensive either -- good move on MS' part).
Go to Top of Page

Isjtar

10 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2005 :  05:03:37 AM  Show Profile
Well, let's throw some fuel on the fire too then... I'm also still anxiously waiting for Whole Tomato before using VS2005. I've already made my code compatible with the new compiler months ago, but I'm not venturing further while my code is still displayed black and blue.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2005 :  3:39:45 PM  Show Profile
it will not be free, the announced price is $49 for the express version.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2005/mar05/03-21vs2005pr.asp

as for VA support for .NET 2005 Whole Tomato have been working on this for a little while now and support is expected fairly soon. do remember though that this IDE is still in beta, so it is subject to changes. this is going to make the developers job harder, not easier.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jorgito11

USA
29 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2005 :  3:34:54 PM  Show Profile
I don't mind waiting for a stable Visual Assist for VS 2005. Having a beta Visual Assist with a beta VS 2005, will only drive up the cost of the product since beta software usually changes before production release.
Go to Top of Page

kschaab
Tomato Guru

USA
118 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2005 :  12:20:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jorgito11

I don't mind waiting for a stable Visual Assist for VS 2005. Having a beta Visual Assist with a beta VS 2005, will only drive up the cost of the product since beta software usually changes before production release.

VS 2005 is probably not going to have breaking changes between now and shipping. I've been using it for a while and I find it to be a huge improvement over previous IDEs. Whidbey is definitely the best IDE that MS has ever created. I look forward to seeing what the folks at Whole Tomato throw at us to make it better.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2005 :  4:59:33 PM  Show Profile
We dabbled with the port to VS2005 long ago but held off until VS2005 was more stable. We thought we waited sufficiently close to release of VS2005 before we began the heavy stuff.

While there is certainly more work to be done because of coming changes in VS2005, we think we'll be about ready for release when VS2005 is released. Of course we'll have beta versions sooner.
Go to Top of Page

alextooter
Ketchup Master

55 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2005 :  09:44:31 AM  Show Profile
I hope the beta verson of VA for VS2005 comes as soon as possible ^_^.
Go to Top of Page

msew
Ketchup Master

94 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2005 :  04:58:54 AM  Show Profile
nods!!

Beta would be awesome! Maybe by 2005 beta 2?

Even if the beta was just text coloring that would be great :-)

Edited by - msew on Apr 04 2005 05:34:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

alextooter
Ketchup Master

55 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2005 :  07:07:56 AM  Show Profile
msew-?-? I totally agree with you.

BTW, can VAX add those vc2005 features to vc6? such as the bookmark and call browse and define browse?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000