Most unimpressed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Photon

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  11:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Today I upgraded from 10.0 to the latest build (10.1), in the hope of fixing regular crashes I have been seeing, when pressing tab to complete on a misspelled symbol...

However, the install would seem to have completely buggered up my colouring, much in the same way that people in other threads are discussing (words partially coloured, some words not coloured at all, some words wrongly coloured) Weirdly, this seems to only be happening in header files (well I;ve only seen it so far).

I presume I am now going to have to uninstall and start again, which I cant do for the minute, as this would reset devstudio completely, and I'm too busy (I know, should have thought twice about upgrading, but the crashes were driving me mad)

Any clues at all to what might have happened?

for what its worth :

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1287.0
Licensed to:
VA X: xxx
VA.NET 7.1:
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Lucida Console 12(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2004)\\Include;
C:\\spirit;
C:\\Program Files\\Creative Labs\\EAX 4.0 Software Development Kit\\Include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include\\prerelease;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\SDK\\v1.1\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:

Photon

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  11:58:55 AM  Show Profile
and just to mention, I have tried resetting the cache and symbol files in devstudio .net and also rebooting ... nothing fixes it - it really does appear to be completely broken.

I cant express enough how much this has inconvenienced me - I used to have faith in VA X as a production tool, I dont any more.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  12:38:24 PM  Show Profile
I realise you've been inconvenienced, but you're not being quite fair. 10.1 is a beta release, not a production release. It's expected to have issues. The point of the beta period is to iron them out.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Photon

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  12:57:48 PM  Show Profile
With all due deference, nowhere on the front page nor on the download page does it mention that this is a beta. Far from it, 'cos I wouldnt have updated if it did.

It would also seem, from browsing the beta forums, that this problem occured several times during testing, however it wasnt resolved (yes, I'm getting exactly the same thing as Larry, which is why I know a full strip and reinstall will solve it) however, the time which this takes is so punative as to make VA X a massive time sink - I certainly wont be updating in future without a full review of the forums to find out if there are major problems.

I will persevere with this product as I have paid for it after all, but I dont think I am being unfair, especially in the light of the fact I have paid for it.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  2:09:21 PM  Show Profile
You're right, I'm sorry. I withdraw my last comment. I thought it was still in beta, but 1287 is indeed listed as a General Release on the downloads page. Strangely, the General Release forum only lists 1246, and 1287 is only advertised in the Beta forum, so there appears to be some inconsistency there.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

Photon

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  2:17:07 PM  Show Profile
heh, and I'm only ranting, because I'm on deadline (still in the office :s) and I dont have the time to go through a full reinstall - its one thing after another today. The colouring is bloody bizarre as well and really not helping the work I have to do, like half words and underscores sometimes. To support, I dont think it is multibyte ... but once again, I have white on black text.... please give me a magic solution .... please...
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  2:27:51 PM  Show Profile
Photon, could you please post or email a screen-shot of what you're seeing? I'm intensely curious to see how close it looks to what I'm (*still*) seeing. Thanks.

And what *is* the deal with underscores??
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  3:46:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Photon

To support, I dont think it is multibyte ... but once again, I have white on black text.... please give me a magic solution .... please...

Did you try to use "Default" Color-Scheme?
Does it also happen when using Default-Scheme?

Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2004 :  4:11:09 PM  Show Profile
(Yeah, it ain't multibyte. And if his issue is the same as mine, it ain't the color scheme, neither. I'll bet a nickel that nothing short of an uninstall, followed by a thorough Registry- and disk-cleaning, will fix it.)
Go to Top of Page

Uniwares
Tomato Guru

Portugal
2321 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2004 :  12:15:07 PM  Show Profile
Let's try an antique methodology: "DID YOU UPDATE THE DRIVER OF YOUR GRAPHICS CARD?"

You may not believe it, but there are still releases of graphics drivers which cause troubles in applications in which you would never expect it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000