Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  4:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I wanted to report a little buglet I've seen.

When I write something like:
const int c = max(a,| b);
you can see that the parentheses are displayed in bold, when the cursor is between the parentheses.

But when I have code like:
#define maxa(b) max(a,| b)
const int c = maxa(b);
There is no displaying in bold of the parentheses on the line that starts with #define. It comes in handy when one can use the bold parentheses, also on those lines.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja

SBrennecke

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2005 :  02:23:03 AM  Show Profile
I have a similar complaint:

It seems the bolding of matching parens or braces is dependent on the horizontal scroll position.
When the code exceeds the width of the edit window, and you scroll to the right, matching braces and parens are often not bolded. It seems the left margin must be visible, or the bolding is skipped.

Why would VA care about what is visible? Simply bold the innermost enclosing parenthesis, bracket, or brace that is visible, and the lack of seeing its match will be almost as useful as seeing both at once.

Scot T Brennecke
InnoVisionLogic Development
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2005 :  3:07:54 PM  Show Profile
patluja i am seeing the same thing.

case=539

SBrennecke which IDE and version of VAX are you using? using .NET 2003 and VAX 1298 with C++ the matching brackets stop being highlighted when i scroll the code sideways, but once the code window has been left alone for a second or two, or once i have moved the caret then the matching brackets are once again highlighted.

i definitely scrolled the left margin out of view, and i was still seeing highlighted brackets.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2005 :  3:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Dear Scot and all others,

The bug you've seen is a known bug, that I've reported a about year ago. Please take a look at bug 1953: Horizontal scrollbar brakes Highlight matching ( ).

I hope it will be solved in the near future.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2005 :  3:11:36 PM  Show Profile
i found the case for this problem, but it seems to only happen when the mouse is hovering over the horizontal scroll bar.

so far i cannot reproduce a more general form of this bug. am i overlooking some critical step?

Go to Top of Page

SBrennecke

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2005 :  02:10:57 AM  Show Profile
I can definitely reproduce it regularly. Here is a subset of my config info:
VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1298.0
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: Lucida Sans Typewriter Regular 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 5.82.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
Single processor

I've found that it isn't always a problem when I scroll to the right. There is some other factor that makes it happen. However, I can always reproduce it by doing this:
Find a line that well exceeds the visible width, so there is plenty of horizontal scrolling possible.
Place your cursor between some ( )'s. They should bold at first.
Now, scroll right a little at a time. At some point, the bolding disappears. Scrolling back to the left makes it bold again. It may have something to do with what is becoming visible (or hiding) on the left side of the window. Or it may have something to do with the first visible column.

Scot T Brennecke
InnoVisionLogic Development
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2005 :  4:18:38 PM  Show Profile
i may be seeing the same effect, but i am not sure. i always try to organise my code so that there are no especially long lines.

can you reproduce this, and once the brackets are no longer shown in bold can you move the caret a character or two left or right with the cursor keys. for me this causes the brackets to be shown in bold once more.

Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2005 :  4:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I agree with Scott. I can reproduce this very frequently without hovering above the horizontal scroll bar.
I have found it to reproduce more easily when there are two or more lines that exceed the width of the screen extensively.

I've often moved the caret, with both the mouse and keyboard, but (when you've scrolled far enough) the parenthesis won't be bold again (even if you pass a parenthesis in either way).

I hope it can be fixed soon (before I have to renew my license...)
Please also remember my actual problem which is the basis of the posting.

With kind regards,
Patrick Luja
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18943 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2005 :  2:28:16 PM  Show Profile
the bug report in the original post has been entered into the system, so it won't be forgotten.

i have found a sufficiently long line of code in a C# project, and i can now reproduce this problem on demand myself. keeping my code lines short, or manually word wrapping them is an old habit, and one that serves me well, so it took some hunting to find the right code to reproduce this

i have updated the existing case with the new details.

case=196

Go to Top of Page

PatLuja
Tomato Guru

Belgium
416 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2005 :  01:36:24 AM  Show Profile
Thank you feline.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked