Technical Support
 Files arent parsed after changes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danpetitt

28 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  03:18:50 AM  Show Profile
I upgraded to the latest 1418 build am running in VS6.0 and now any change I make to a file isnt auto-parsed, I have to manually parse the file and header to get VA to work.

Basically, if I edit an MFC project and edit a dialog and create a new control, I then go to the dialog cpp file and the IDC isnt known (its grey and red).

If I do the same and add a member variable then it isnt known until I reparse the header file.

If I just edit a header file to create a new method or property, then go to the cpp file, it is not known.

Local variables in same file work okay though.

Any ideas?? This is *really* annoying as I am sure you all can understand.

I must add that I have never had a problem with VA in all the previous builds and versions. Just this latest one straight after buying a new licence ... doh!

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  2:25:55 PM  Show Profile
are any of these files in directories that are listed as holding "stable include files"?

VA Options -> Projects -> C/C++ Directories

alternatively are you using the class wizard? i am thinking of:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3835

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

danpetitt

28 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  5:50:04 PM  Show Profile
No, there is nothing in stable include files.

Basically Header file is not being reparsed which looks like a bug that was fixed ... do we have any idea when that release will be available?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  3:40:21 PM  Show Profile
i am not sure what you mean about this being a bug that was fixed. there are a couple of specific situations where headers might not be reparsed automatically, but you don't seem to be encountering these.

you might see this effect if you make a change to a header, then use alt_o, or some other method to change files and try to use this change to the header immediately. however you have to do this very quickly (in a couple of seconds) to see the problem.

what happens if you just pause typing for 5 or 10 seconds, to give VAX time to catch up?

is this effect only showing up in one project? does it effect all header files, or only some?

Go to Top of Page

danpetitt

28 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  3:48:20 PM  Show Profile
It affects all projects, all the time. I can wait 5 minutes or several hours, it never reparses.

I just go to a header file and add a member variable, I choose ALT+O and try to use that variable and it doesnt know anything about it.

As I said, this worked perfectly until I installed the latest build, I was running 1289 before and it worked seamlessly. I think I am going to have to go back to a build that works which is a bit unfortunately as I needlessly renewed.

I even tried doing a rebuild, and clearing caches etc., none of which worked.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:01:33 PM  Show Profile
can you run regedit and post for the values in the two registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Whole Tomato/Visual Assist X/VANet/ExtHeader

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Whole Tomato/Visual Assist X/VANet/ExtSource

please. if these got changed that might explain this effect.

Go to Top of Page

danpetitt

28 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2005 :  5:09:45 PM  Show Profile
The only data value I have in VANet is "ACSTextColor" String which is empty.

But I do have ExtHeader and ExtSource under "VA6". In fact my key structure is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Whole Tomato/Visual Assist X/

VA6
    ->Custom key
    ->Format key
    ->Win32 (x86) key
  VANet
  VANet7.0
  VAOpsWin
    ->Custom Colours
  vc6

The only key that really has any values is the VA6 one at the top.

If it matters, I am running VisualStudio 6 which is probably why the values exist in this key.

Anyway, the ExtHeader under VA6 says ".h;.hh;.hpp;.hxx;.tlh;.inl;.p;.rh;.dh;.ih;.ph;" and ExtSource says ".c;.cpp;.cc;.cxx;.tli;"

I edit .h and .cpp files.

Edited by - danpetitt on Aug 16 2005 5:13:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  5:13:07 PM  Show Profile
oops, i had forgotten that you were using VC6. i grabbed the VS 2003 keys from the VAX FAQ:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/faq.html#extension

those keys look the same as mine, and reparsing works fine for me *sigh* i will check back with support and see if they have any more ideas.

Go to Top of Page

danpetitt

28 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  5:56:52 PM  Show Profile
Is there an earlier build somewhere for me to try, at least we can work out when it stopped working.

I upgraded to 1418 from 1289 which worked okay. It would be interesting to gradually go back from 1418 until it starts to work again and then we can work out what changed in that build.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  3:28:51 PM  Show Profile
build 1301 is available from the downloads page

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/index.html

this was the last build before the major changes for the 14xx builds took place, so there is a good chance this will work without problems. if this does work, and you are willing to try them i have 8 builds, from 1407 to 1417 on my machine which i could email you.

the developers have a theory as to the cause of this problem, and we are hoping for a new beta in the near future which might work correctly for you.

Go to Top of Page

AdyR
Ketchup Master

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2005 :  7:20:07 PM  Show Profile
I seem to be experiencing a similar problem. With 1418 and VS 2003 I find that quite a lot of new variables and functions are not being recognised by VA (not coloured) until I shutdown VS and open it again.
I have noticed that when I switch to a file the unrecognised bits seems to colour up correctly for a second and then back to black. Auto-complete does not work on the non-coloured bits either.

Ady
Go to Top of Page

danpetitt

28 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2005 :  04:44:04 AM  Show Profile
Yup, just the same as me. Try build 1301 from the download page, that appears to be working better for me at the moment, but the jury is still out ;)
Go to Top of Page

MiracleMike

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  08:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Same thing here.
I even lose some MFC classes like CString
Restarting MSDEV correct things.

VA_X.dll file version 10.1.1418.0 built 2005.06.24
Licensed to:
VA X: (1-user license) Support ends 2006.03.04
VA.NET 7.1: (1-user license)
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.2.0.4
DevEnv.exe version 7.10.3077.0
msenv.dll version 7.10.3077.0
Font: ProFontWindows 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2180
WindowsNT 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors
Go to Top of Page

danpetitt

28 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2005 :  1:11:53 PM  Show Profile
Yup, I have had to go back to 1301 which is the only one that works at home or work.

I even tried the beta, but that totally didnt work. It failed to load and even uninstall/install (removing everything from reg and drive) failed to get it working ... couldnt even go back to earlier builds, so I had to go back to my driveimage and start all over.

Worst thing is I am getting no support, I emailed support@ and never heard a thing. I have posted here and unless Feline is a company representative, again I get no support (all credit to Feline, but nothing is being done). Crikey even the product my company sells at -?8.99 a year guarantees a reply within 24 hours!

I would love to use the thing I paid for.

Edited by - danpetitt on Sep 16 2005 1:13:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  5:07:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MiracleMike

Same thing here.
I even lose some MFC classes like CString
Restarting MSDEV correct things.

when you say you loose CString, do you mean it works for a while and then stops working, or it was never working at all?

there was a recent thread about VA not knowing the member functions for CString, but rebuilding VA's symbol databases (VA options -> performance -> general) fixed the problem.

can you please try this and let me know how what happens.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2005 :  5:10:53 PM  Show Profile
danpetitt you can view me as a company representative

my basic problem with this problem is that the symptoms and clues just don't make any sense to me. as for the problem with email support, i am going to ask what is going on there. appologies for the lack of feedback you have been getting on that front.

Go to Top of Page

MiracleMike

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  1:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Sorry, yes it works (highligting, intellisense) for a while and after sometime it stop working.

I already reparsed. But the problem continue.
Closing & Restart MSDev "solves" the problem for some time.

If good for any clues:
I often have two or three MSDev instance. Working on different project at the same time. Some on C++ others on C#
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  3:16:25 PM  Show Profile
Mike, what anti-virus program are you running? this puts me in mind of:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3755&SearchTerms=norton

and a couple of other threads with the same problem. have you done a spyware scan? any active anti-spyware software on your machine? defrag program? google desktop search?

Go to Top of Page

danpetitt

28 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2005 :  4:06:00 PM  Show Profile
I have none of those orrid tools running, no firewalls, no toolbars, no spyware, no nothing. Just plain machine with devstudio, office and some other minor apps like TextPad and HomeSite.

Its a new machine install so no defrag needed
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  2:33:29 PM  Show Profile
danpetitt are you in a position to reinstall 1422 and reproduce this problem with VS's logging turned on?

Mike, presuming you are not running any such programs either can you also reproduce this with logging turned on?

if either of you can do this can you email a zip of C:\\va.log to [email protected] referencing this thread in the email. danpetitt if support is still swamped i can email you so you can email me the file and i will pass it on to the developers.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  01:24:14 AM  Show Profile
We recommend Dan and Mike install our newest build, 1423. It has numerous parsing fixes.

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1423.exe

We'll post this build in the forums tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  11:11:38 AM  Show Profile
MiracleMike:
You might be having problems different from Dan and not addressed in 1423. It might be that VA X is catching an exception, either in its code or that of the IDE, and getting left in a confused state. Send a log, including startup.log from the VA X directory, if you get a chance.

Lastly... source files considered "stable" are not reparsed even if you edit them. You must press "Reparse" or "Rebuild" to force VA X into seeing changes in these files. Since "stable" files rarely change, eg those with MFC or 3rd parties libraries, this caveat to gain efficiency is fine. If VA X thinks your active files are stable, you have a problem with symbols not being recognized. The latter is only the case if your current sources are listed in odd settings in the IDE and hence, appear in the list of "Stable include files" in the VA X options dailog. See "Stable versus Other Directories" in the following for more info:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/directories.html?more=yes
Go to Top of Page

nismael

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2005 :  08:50:16 AM  Show Profile
I have the same problem that has been mentioned and the build you just posted is even worse... I just created a struct and when I use an object of this type in my code, most of the time it gives me multiple choices for a simple variable, like it is buffering every typo I made when creating the struct and now it list stuff like "sSentName" and "ssentName" even if my struct only contains the first one. I tried to use build 1301 but since I didn't have license prior to Visual Assist 1418, I can't go back to a working version. Can someone please point me out to something that works fine? I am losing more time with VA now than it is supposed to save me...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2005 :  07:58:35 AM  Show Profile
nismael can you check the directories listed in

to make sure that the struct you are editing is not located in a stable directory.

what IDE and language are you using? is this struct located in a .h file? are you trying to use it in a cpp file?

if you create a new basic project do you get the same problems? does manually reparsing the file containing the struct make any difference?

VAssistX menu -> tools -> reparse current file

Go to Top of Page

nismael

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  08:09:54 AM  Show Profile
Yes the file is indeed in my stable include directories... But still it seems like it gets reparsed and as I mentioned its like its buffering the old stuff that was in my struct and make it available in the listbox when I try to access it (struct->something...).

I was wondering, how can I remove something from the stable include directories? I mean, does something that I put in my include directories in Visual Studio has to be sonsidered a Stable include? Why is that? If the only mean to remove my folder from the stable include is to remove it from my VS Studio include files and I don't want to do that, how can I force the folder to be reparsed anyway?

Thx for the help!
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2005 :  6:42:24 PM  Show Profile
the whole point of the stable include directories is they are designed to hold library code that changes very rarely. as a result VA only reparses the files rarely, as an optimisation.

the easiest solution is to move the file in question to a different directory if you are going to be making regular changes to it. if the changes are now made, and you expect the file to remain stable for a while then simply telling VA to rebuild its symbol databases:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Rebuild symbol databases

should fix the problem.

you can change the platform in:

to custom to produce a custom list of stable include directories if you need to. this should help answer your questions

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/directories.html?more=yes

in addition using VS 2003 you can right click on a workspace, select properties, and specify additional include directories in:

C/C++ -> general -> additional include directories

Go to Top of Page

MiracleMike

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2005 :  2:18:53 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for the delay.

I tried 1423, and it seems to get worse. It stop working properly after a minute or so.
It happens in C# too.

My stable folders are only Vc7 & SDK directories + 2 others for STLPort and bunch of 3rd partys.

I'll send you my log files in a minute
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000