Brace matching with dark theme colors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbabob

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  10:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I am using a dark theme with VS2005 and Visual Assist X release 1827. I want to change the brace matching colors to black with a white background to make them easier to see over the dark theme I'm using. The thing is although I can change the brace color, the background color is set to black and I can't change it. I tried going into both the Visual Studio and Visual Assist option menus with no success, and I remember being able to change the background color in the past using the same version of VS and VA. Can anyone help?

Here's an image of what the brace matching looks like. I would like the colors to be reverted (black brace with a white square around it).

Here's a picture of the option menu with the background color disabled. My friend is using the exact same versions as me and nothing is disabled on his.

Dusan
Whole Tomato Software

Slovakia
177 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  11:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just set it and restart IDE - it should work.
I have had similar problems with setting background to yellow.
Go to Top of Page

jbabob

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  11:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the thing, I can't set it as it's disabled. Restarting the IDE does not change anything
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  12:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you export settings, and then change the foreground color setting, and then export again, can you see what's different? Maybe you can add an "invisible" member to that option which would be changing the xml tag for "fore" into "back. Or learn from nearby items by changing their background to see explicitly what tag needs to be changed/added.

Where there's a will there's a way. :-)
Go to Top of Page

jbabob

3 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  12:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's genius! I exported my settings, and they turned out to be very simple to modify. I opened the file with a text editor and searched for "brace matching". It took me to this line:
<Item Name="VA X Brace Matching" Foreground="0x00FFFFFF" Background="0x0200000" BoldFont="Yes"/>

All I had to do was find the correct values for black and white (0x00000000 and 0x00FFFFFF, respectively) and change them. I ended up with this line:
<Item Name="VA X Brace Matching" Foreground="0x00000000" Background="0x00FFFFFF" BoldFont="Yes"/>

Then, I imported these settings in VS and it worked! Thank you so much for the help foxmuldr, I've been busting my brains to fix this for so long!
Go to Top of Page

foxmuldr
Tomato Guru

USA
402 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2013 :  12:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome! :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: