VAX 1239: autocomplete lag // text
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dkgamez

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2004 :  11:04:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm using Visual Studio .Net 7.1.3088.

I started with the default cpp.tpl and added my own autocomplete text as follows:

//:
// DK %MONTH%/%DAY%/%YEAR% -?

I also deleted the other autocomplete text that started with //- and ///.

When I'm programming and type //, the autocomplete winow pops up with my comment header and I press enter to automatically paste it.

However, if I change the line in cpp.tpl to read:

//:
//DK %MONTH%/%DAY%/%YEAR% -?

(notice the lack of whitespace between the second / and D). Now, when I type in // and press enter, it lags for a few seconds before the line is pasted.

I would prefer to use the version without the whitespace to save on the number of characters in my comment header but it's too slow while I'm programming.

Thanks for your time.
Dara.

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  12:08:28 PM  Show Profile
using VS .NET 2003 and VAX 1239 i am unable to reproduce this using the C++ auto templates:

//#:

and

//#:
// DK %MONTH%/%DAY%/%YEAR% -? 

both work at the same speed, which is basically instant for me. i did use //# as my trigger though, since i often use // on it's own.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

dkgamez

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  1:48:01 PM  Show Profile
I've been able to reproduce this on another machine with .Net 7.1 and VAX 1239. There is still a large noticeable lag when using the autocomplete comment with no whitespace bewtween // and D.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  7:32:25 PM  Show Profile
by 7.1 do you mean 2003?

i have just tried your examples on my home machine, which is winXP pro, SP1, VS .NET (7.0.9466) and VAX 1237, and both versions run at the same speed, basically instantly.

i will upgrade to VAX 1239 over the next couple of days and have another go then. i am wondering if there is some extra difference that we are not allowing for.

Go to Top of Page

dkgamez

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2004 :  12:06:51 AM  Show Profile
From the about box: Microsoft Development Environment 2003 Version 7.1.3088

Are you using my autocomplete text exactly? //:

I tried using //#: and it works instaneously with both versions. So the lag only happens in this one instance:

//:
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2004 :  06:17:36 AM  Show Profile
the mystery deepens.

i was using that exact auto complete text at home, in VS .NET (the 2002 version) with VAX 1239, and i was unable to reproduce this.

i have just tried this exact version at work, on VS .NET 2003 (help about 7.1.3088) and i can recreate this intermittently

i added this auto complete text, and then opened an existing cpp file. i find that switching cpp files helps, otherwise the new auto complete strings aren't always picked up.

having swapped files, i typed:
<enter><slash><slash>
an instant later the auto text suggestion appears, and i press enter to accept this.
the first time i do this, there is a definite delay of around 5 seconds. according to ctrl_alt_del -> task manager -> minimised, cpu usage meter the CPU is only about 20% busy, which is normal given all the open programs.

if i now use alt_backspace to undo all changes to this cpp file, and then repeat:
<enter><slash><slash>

then it comes up instantly.

now undo this again, alt-tab away from VS and over to IE where i am typing this post. stay in IE for perhaps 1 minute, then return to VS again, repeat the typing, and i get the 5 second delay again.

do you get this same pattern? is it very fast to complete if you undo and do it again instantly?

this reminds me of some other odd behaviours in VAX, where it stops for no obvious reason. only this one happens after a delay, rather than going away after a delay.

Go to Top of Page

dkgamez

10 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2004 :  1:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I am seeing the same exact pattern. When I use the autocomplete the very first time in a cpp file, it'll take a few seconds for it to be pasted. When I try to paste it again, it comes up instantly.

If I switch focus to another program and then return to visual studio, the delay returns.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000