Suggestion list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ivo

34 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  12:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.

I've been using the older version of VA (7 .NET I think) for a few years. I'm testing the new VA X trial now.

I really liked the behavior of the suggestion tooltip. If it has multiple alternative symbols the most probable one is shown with a dark tooltip. If I keep typing and there is only one alternative left it is shown with a bright tooltip. When I see the tooltip changing color I know I can stop typing.

In VA X the suggestion tooltip is replaced by a listbox. The problem is that the listbox only shows a portion of the symbols. Even if there is one item left in the list I don't know if it is the only alternative. There may be others, but if I haven't used them recently it won't show them. There is no visual indication when there is only one guess left.

I can see few possible improvements here. Best will be if the listbox shrinks to a single item only when there is indeed only one alternative left. Another way is if the listbox can give some visual feedback when it has only one guess - the color can change, the icon can change from ? to !, the text can become bold, etc. I would also like if the old tooltip behavior becomes an option. A benefit of the tooltip over a listbox is that it doesn't interfere with the editor by hijacking the arrow keys.

Ivo

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  06:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We appreciate the pain of change.

We opted for a suggestion list for a number of reasons, including the fact we could show multiple suggestions at once. This is especially useful when you start using acronyms and shorthand.

If you see question mark icons, you are looking at a suggestion list. There is nothing that says the list is complete. Press Ctrl+Space to see a list of all completions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000