Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jpage4500

22 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  11:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help!

I frequently keep 2 VC++ instances open (VS6). With the latest version of VAX one of the instances is crashing often!

The message I typically get in 1 window is "Waiting for other instance of Visual Studio to flush db..". This message never seems to go away while I can see in the process manager the memory keeps going up and up for the other instance. I have no choice but to kill the other process to get control back!

Please help to fix this if it's related to VA 1535

thanks
joe

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  11:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the same workspace opened in both instances? Two entirely independent workspaces? Some overlap, but not the same workspace? What is the approximate size of the workspace(s)?

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  08:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you try closing all VC++ instances, and then going to the:

C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\vc6\C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\vc7\C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\vc8\
directories and deleting all Proj_* directories. if this helps then the next beta build of VA should be more reliable.

is this a new problem with VA 1535? if so did you use any of the earlier 15xx builds of VA?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

jpage4500

22 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  09:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help. I will try deleting the proj_* directories and see what happens. I have used most of the 15xx builds as they've been released. I do, however, often clear out the cache and rebuild in the VA settings.

I also only open entirely independent workspaces. Nothing huge - maybe each one having 80-100 classes for a total of 2-3 Meg of source + headers.

Also, I noticed 1 thing. There's an error.log in the VA directory with the lines:
Exception: DSF::1175 10/2/2006 16:41:25 0xa38
Exception: DSF::1175 10/2/2006 17:19:25 0xa38
Exception: DSF::1175 10/2/2006 17:35:18 0xa38
Exception: DSF::1175 10/2/2006 17:46:12 0xa38
Exception: DSF::1175 10/2/2006 17:48:03 0xa38
Exception: DSF::1175 10/2/2006 17:49:49 0xa38
Exception: DSF::1175 10/2/2006 17:53:59 0xa38
Go to Top of Page

jpage4500

22 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  11:14:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ughh.. it just happened again! 1 project's toolbar said "parsing ..." and the other toolbar said "waiting on other instance of DB to flush" (or something like this). Both become unusable when this happens and I have to kill them in the task manager.

I don't think I'm doing anything unusual to trigger this. I did notice in this case I modified one of the source files in an external editor. The whole thing seemed to get kicked off after this and I switched to one of the VC6 windows. Maybe it's related to the VAX option 'watch for externally modified files and reparse' which I have checked. I'll try again with it off.

thanks,
j
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  01:17:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=2845
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  7:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed in 1538.
Go to Top of Page

Mindcrime

33 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  8:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this just happened to me again in 1539. (VS2005/C++)

i think the key here is that this starts ocurring when you have 2 (or more?) instances of VS2005 up and each instance has the same project files in it, *and* one of the project files in your solution is externally modified and it then prompts you to reload it. The reload prompt popup occurs on both instances of VS2005 and if you click Reload on both of them, they seem to fight each other for control of the DB which leads to this issue.. or so it *seems*. i can't guarantee this right now, but maybe that's enough of a clue to help you guys figure it out?
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  8:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! that does help - I'm seeing a problem here...
Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2006 :  3:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mindcrime: Would you be able to try out a new dll to see if this still occurs? If so, send your email by clicking on my name to the left (you have no contact info in the forum, so wasn't able to contact you that way).
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  12:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed again in 1540.
Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  08:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the same problem with 1540 right now, VS 2003 runs fine, but when i try to start vs2005 i am getting the witing for isntance to flush DB message, I am not running both instances at the same time,

I have csunit and QT installed
Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  08:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I have build 1541 installed and I did try to clean out the proj_* directories
Go to Top of Page

pogothemonkey

31 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  09:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, problem solved, somehow there where other devenv processes running that where blocking the DB
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  09:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any other plugins installed? I know Qt can offer up a plugin.
What OS are you using?

Can you try closing all IDE's and then using task manager to make sure that there are no hung IDE processes in the background. If there are any please kill them off. Once there are no processes running can you delete the proj_* directories in "C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\vc8"

If you start to get the problem again how are you triggering it?
You should only get this problem if you are running more than one instance of the same IDE at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

gramster

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  3:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing a similar problem. I had three instances of VS2005 open, with unrelated projects. When I came in to work this morning, I noticed that one of the instances showed this 'Waiting for other instance message' and was unresponsive. I closed all three instances of VS. Now I cannot start VS again! It just hangs with a blank window on startup.

Go to Top of Page

gramster

3 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  4:30:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have read the whole thread - I had to kill the devenv.exe processes from task manager and then VS started up again.
Go to Top of Page

code42

20 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  5:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've run into this problem also, but only when opening the same workspace in 2 instances of visual studio (2005). I'll also report that the pagefile usage skyrockets + 2 gb and generally makes my computer cry.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2006 :  11:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There will be a fix for one specific cause of this problem in the next build:

case=3828

This happens when you open two instances of the IDE while a full rebuild of the symbol database is going on, and then close one of the two instances before the rebuild has finished.

A full rebuild is triggered when you install a new version of VA, or it can be triggered manually via the VA options dialog.

Does this sound like it will explain your problems gramster?

code42, I am not expecting this particular bug to cause this massive memory usage. Which version of VA are you using?

Go to Top of Page

sean
Whole Tomato Software

USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  9:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=3828 is fixed in build 1543
Go to Top of Page

srkkreddy
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  4:44:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen this message on my Visual Assist version too (not sure which is the version: hope the following information helps)
(VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1541.0 built 2006.11.20
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.3.8
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.0).

I just killed the several hanging devenv processes from the taskmanager (after closing all Visual Studio instances) and later Visual Assist just worked fine.
Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2007 :  08:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are currently using VA 1541
Look at the line "VA_X.dll file version", you are using VA 10.3, build 1541

Try upgrading to VA 1544 and see if this helps:

http://www.wholetomato.com/downloads/VA_X_Setup1544.exe

Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  10:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also continuously having this problem. I've upgraded to 1544 in an attempt to fix this issue, but it still happens. I have different solutions loaded; one with only a single project (makefile executable), and one with many projects (of which most unloaded most of the time) (makefile libraries). The single project solution uses the other libraries generated by the other solution.
Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  11:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also having this problem, several times a day and its really starting to get irritating!

I saw it just now, and it seemed to be caused by VAX hanging whilst it parsed a file. I closed and reopened my project but VAX seemed partially broken: things seemed to be coloured correctly, but Alt-G did nothing.

I then closed Visual Studio but devenv.exe was still showing in Task Manager. When i reopened Visual Studio i got the "Waiting for other instance of Visual Studio to flush db.."

I have seen this problem when running 2 or more Visual Studios, but this time i just had a single one running. I installed Visual Studio SP1 recently and i think things have got worse since then but i'm not entirely sure!

VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1544.0 built 2007.01.10
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.4.2
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.6
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.762
Font: Consolas 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  11:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RickA do you ever run more than one IDE at the same time?

Can you try closing all IDE's, and making sure that there are no IDE processes running in the background.
Now run a single IDE and use:

VA Options -> Performance -> General -> Rebuild symbol databases

and restart the IDE. Please allow VA to finish parsing before running a second IDE. This will make sure that any lingering problems with VA's symbol database from last time you saw this problem with be cleaned up.

Is there any form of pattern or trigger to what is causing this?

I appreciate that this is a very disruptive problem, but unless we can reproduce it, or get some idea of the circumstances that trigger it, it is hard to do much about it.

kate_m your situation sounds a little different. What language are you programming in?
If you are using C++ are you using a lot of heavy template code?
Do you have any idea which file or files are causing the problems?

We have had problems with some very heavy C++ template code causing our parser to use 100% of the CPU, but this does not normally crash the parser or leave a locked / hung process running in the background.

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for such a quick response :)

I'm not sure which file it had a problem with. I'll keep an eye out and i'm sure i'll see the problem again because its been fairly regular.

We do have a fair amount of templated code and we're also using boost if that makes any difference (see my Directories paths below). However, my colleague is working on the same project and he hasn't had any problems whatsoever.

I tried re-installing VAX a couple of days ago, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. My colleague suggested disabling intellisense as he's done that, but that hasn't helped either.

Platform: Custom
Stable Includes:
C:\\VS2005\\VC\\include;
C:\\VS2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\VS2005\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\Include;
C:\\VS2005\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;
$(BOOSTDIR)\\1.33.1.r2\\include\\boost-1_33_1;
$(BOOSTDIR)\\boostlog-2005-11-06\\include\\boost-1_33_1;
T:\\DevTools\\cppunit-1.10.2\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\VS2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\VS2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\VS2005\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\VS2005\\VC\\crt\\src;
C:\\boost\\boostlog-2005-11-06\\src;

Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
feline: thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I think I've always been running multiple IDEs (VS2005) at the same time when this happens. Before my post I'd already tried closing all instances of VS, making sure all processes were terminated as well, deleted all the proj* folders in the VA folder, and rebuilt the symbol databases on one IDE. I did wait until that was done before starting the second instance (this was all mentioned in one of the other replies, so I tried it all). This didn't ultimately solve the problem.

I haven't been able to discern a pattern to this. The last time it happened (just now) I was typing a function in the main solution (the one with only a single project) which is defined in one of the projects currently loaded in the other solution. I even had the .c file where it's defined open in the second IDE. It does seem to happen after a while though, I don't think I've seen it happen sooner than say 1 hour after launching the IDEs.

I'm currently running with the Code Definition Window *not* visible, although have used it in the past.

I'm perfectly willing to try out anything you can think of, as lately (past few weeks, no updates to either VS or VA) I've been having this issue crop up multiple times each day.

I'm writing more or less straight C code, with no unsual trickery as far as I am aware.

My info for your perusal:
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1544.0 built 2007.01.10
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.4.2
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.6
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.42
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.42
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.0.2900.2982
Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
C:\\Work\\XGS\\Include;
C:\\Work\\NDS\\XGS\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)\\Include;
C:\\Boost\\include\\boost-1_33_1;
C:\\NitroSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;
C:\\DXSDK\\include;

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

Thanks,
Rick
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  1:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kate_m

Thanks for such a quick response :)

We do try

Templated code on its own should be fine. We have quite a lot of users working with Boost, and normally this is not a problem. Are you working with the Spirit library? This has come up as very template heavy, even by Boost standards.

Can you try running a CPU monitor please, and keeping an eye out for any unusual problems? Problems with our parser and template heavy code often manifest as the parser getting caught up in a loop, and the CPU (or one CPU) jumping to 100% for "a while", this can range between 20 seconds and half an hour, depending on how upset it gets.

Normally this effect is very obvious, but if you have a multiple CPU system it may be much less obvious.

Is your colleague working on the same parts of the project, so similar types of code? If so are there any obvious differences between your system and his?

Do either of you have any other plugin's installed?
Did you disable the IDE's intellisense the same way he did? The method used should not matter, but maybe it does. See this FAQ for information on this:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

One thing I noticed in your directory list was:

T:\\DevTools\\cppunit-1.10.2\\include;

is T: a local drive or a network drive? Or even a subst directory mapped to a local drive?
Is all of the code you are editing local, or is it stored on some form of network drive?

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  1:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickA

Yes, I think I've always been running multiple IDEs (VS2005) at the same time when this happens. Before my post I'd already tried closing all instances of VS, making sure all processes were terminated as well, deleted all the proj* folders in the VA folder, and rebuilt the symbol databases on one IDE. I did wait until that was done before starting the second instance (this was all mentioned in one of the other replies, so I tried it all). This didn't ultimately solve the problem.

I haven't been able to discern a pattern to this. The last time it happened (just now) I was typing a function in the main solution (the one with only a single project) which is defined in one of the projects currently loaded in the other solution. I even had the .c file where it's defined open in the second IDE. It does seem to happen after a while though, I don't think I've seen it happen sooner than say 1 hour after launching the IDEs.

I loose track of who has said what, so much goes on with so many people I rely on finding the information within a couple of posts in the thread each time I visit

The time scales you are talking about, this is happening a LOT, and very quickly!

Are you able to work with only one IDE open for a couple of hours or so, to see if this helps?

Is there a lot of overlap between the two solutions?
It seems one of them depends on the other, at the very least.
I am just wondering if a significant number of files are included in both solutions, if two instances of VA parsing the same files, at the same time is a factor here.

Is any of the code stored on network or subst'ed drives?
Do you have any other plugin's installed?
Is there anything "odd" about your system that might help to explain the problems you are seeing?

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  1:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not using the Spirit library. I have BoundsChecker and doxycomment installed. My colleague uses BoundsChecker but not doxycomment, so that'll be uninstalled first thing Monday.

I usually have Task Manager running while i'm working so i can see what's going on. Is there anything else you would like me to run that might help?

I have had problems with the CPU jumping to 50% or so for seconds at a time, usually when i'm scrolling. When this happens the IDE freezes until the CPU drops. This might be down to VAX because i have seen it since i turned off intellisense.

I have also had the CPU jumping for over 5 minutes. I couldn't say whether it gets better because i always just kill the process.

My colleague is working on fairly similar code although he is using a different method of disabling the intellisense. He renamed the .ncb file and then created a directory with the same name as the old ncb file. I will try this on Monday to see if it makes any difference.

T: is a network drive but the code i'm editing is all local.

This week i've had so many problems with hangs and db flushes that I'm now getting very confused with what i've been seeing - sorry! I think i'll start from scratch next week and do the following:
- Reinstall VAX
- Uninstall doxycomment
- Disable intellisense via the method mentioned above
- Run a CPU monitor of some sort while i'm working
- If i get any hanging or flush problems, i'll try and see which file it is parsing.

Does that sound useful?
Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  04:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Are you able to work with only one IDE open for a couple of hours or so, to see if this helps?

I'll give this a go today.

quote:

Is there a lot of overlap between the two solutions?
It seems one of them depends on the other, at the very least.
I am just wondering if a significant number of files are included in both solutions, if two instances of VA parsing the same files, at the same time is a factor here.

You've got it correct basically. One solution is wholly dependant on the projects in the other solution, but not vice-versa. No files are explicitly included in both solutions, though the dependant project naturally includes header files from the other solution. Timing issues could be the cause of the problems I guess.

quote:
Is any of the code stored on network or subst'ed drives?
Do you have any other plugin's installed?
Is there anything "odd" about your system that might help to explain the problems you are seeing?

No code on network drives, no other plugins. Nothing odd that I've noticed other than this.

I'll report back tomorrow about the running a single instance.

Rick
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000