Page: of 3

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  08:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kate_m

I'm not using the Spirit library. I have BoundsChecker and doxycomment installed. My colleague uses BoundsChecker but not doxycomment, so that'll be uninstalled first thing Monday.

I would not expect any problems from those two plugin's, but uninstalling doxycomment does remove one variable. You may find that VA's Document Method does most of what you need, once you have edited the autotext rule it uses:

http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/documentMethod.asp

See this FAQ for information on disabling the IDE's intellisense. It is quite possible your college has not actually disabled the IDE's intellisense at all. If the ncb file in the base directory is unavailable it will create one in the %TEMP% directory instead.

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

Do you have 2 CPU's in your system? The CPU jumping to 50% sounds a little odd for a single CPU system.

The CPU jumping for 5 minutes or more, this sounds a lot like the IDE's intellisense parser at work, which is one reason I am wondering if it has been successfully disabled.

Unless VA is still rebuilding its symbol database I would not expect it to produce these sort of CPU spikes, not on "normal" code at least.

When you say you killed off the process, which process did you kill? Was this the IDE? If so, it is *possible* that this is a factor in the VA database locking problem. This is rather a wild guess to be honest, but it is something that is fairly unusual.

quote:
Originally posted by kate_m

This week i've had so many problems with hangs and db flushes that I'm now getting very confused with what i've been seeing - sorry! I think i'll start from scratch next week and do the following:
- Reinstall VAX
- Uninstall doxycomment
- Disable intellisense via the method mentioned above
- Run a CPU monitor of some sort while i'm working
- If i get any hanging or flush problems, i'll try and see which file it is parsing.

Does that sound useful?

Slightly depressing, since you have been seeing so many problems, but definitely useful. For a CPU monitor I tend to use Process Explorer's system tray icon. Process Explorer its self has a CPU history feature (you need to turn this column on) for each process, which can be very useful for getting a feel for what is happening:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

For tracking files you may find Process Monitor useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/processmonitor.mspx

but you will need to filter it, since there tends to be a LOT of file and registry activity on a working system

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  09:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Do you have 2 CPU's in your system? The CPU jumping to 50% sounds a little odd for a single CPU system.

Yes

quote:
The CPU jumping for 5 minutes or more, this sounds a lot like the IDE's intellisense parser at work, which is one reason I am wondering if it has been successfully disabled.

I'm pretty sure its disabled. When i open my project, I get a message saying that intellisense will not be available. I checked my temp dir and there is no ncb file there. Plus i don't get the "Updating Intellisense" messages and the Resource tab is unusable. But if you would prefer i use the method recommended in the other topic then i can do that.

The only problem is that i have no idea whether i'd disabled intellisense when i saw the problem that i posted about (single dev env open, it hung, i killed devenv, restarted and got the flush problem message).

quote:
When you say you killed off the process, which process did you kill? Was this the IDE?

I killed devenv.exe

I've got Process Explorer installed so i'll see what happens. So far today, everything's been fine (naturally) :)
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  09:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you looking in the %TEMP% directory while the IDE is running? I am just wondering what is happening here. Every time I have disabled intellisense with two zero length read only ncb files I have needed to place on in the %TEMP% directory.

I wonder if the ncb file handling has been changed with SP1.

No problems so far is good, let us hope this continues!

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  10:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are you looking in the %TEMP% directory while the IDE is running?

Yep, there's definitely no .ncb file in the %TEMP% dir. Maybe its different because i've created a folder called <solutionname>.ncb rather than a file?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  2:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, I am seeing the same effect here. VS2005 SP1 responds differently to a directory than to a read only file.

Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  05:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've not seen the issue yesterday whilst running only a single instance of VS, but that seems natural. However, my IDE did crash three times for no apparent reason. This could be totally unrelated to VA, so today I'll be running multiple IDEs but with VA turned off. I'll see how that goes. Of course I won't see the initial problem, but I'm wondering if I'll see the crash or not. Will post back with findings.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  07:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for checking this. Running two IDE's with VA enabled has been known to cause problems, but we thought all of those bugs had been fixed.

The IDE crashes bother me slightly as well. I am not always a world class fan of VS2005, but it does not normally crash.

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  09:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, Visual Studio has just hung on me. I only have one IDE open, intellisense is disabled and I'd just typed m_

The weird thing is that i think my system was pretty much idle. I didn't notice any CPU spikes and the status bar doesn't show VAX as parsing files.

I don't know if you have any way of getting info out of a hung process, but I'll leave the IDE as it is for as long as i can before i have to get back to work in case you have any ideas!
Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  09:33:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, just to be clear, it hung ie was still visible, but did not respond to anything. Not a crash as in suddenly closes and everything is gone.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  11:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a little confusing , RickA are you talking about the hang kate_m has just reported?

kate_m are you able to grab a call stack from this hung IDE? Or have you already closed it? You have probably closed it by now.

What anti-virus software are you using on your machine?
Is there anything "odd" about the machine?

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  12:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm that keen to find out what's going on that its still open! I had to open up another IDE to get some work done, which i then closed and this left another devenv.exe lying around. I've got the call stack from both and they look identical. DevPartner - hmmmm - they're the BoundsChecker people. Please don't let this be a BoundsChecker problem - you guys are so much more helpful than they are

I've got McAfee Virus Scan and my PC isn't unusual as far as i know.

[In a sleep, wait, or join]
>mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.WaitHandle.WaitAny(System.Threading.WaitHandle[] waitHandles, int millisecondsTimeout, bool exitContext) + 0x63 bytes
DevPartner.Injector.Config.dll!DevPartner.Shared.Injector.Config.InjectorEventListener.WaitForInjectorEvent() + 0x60 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(object state) + 0x3b bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext executionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback callback, object state) + 0x81 bytes
mscorlib.dll!System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart() + 0x40 bytes

*edit by feline to make this word wrap better*

Edited by - feline on Feb 15 2007 12:40:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  1:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very occasionally we see problems caused by anti-virus programs, but I do not know of any current outstanding problems. If it is easy to do you may want to try disabling McAfee for a few hours and see if this makes any difference. Given how frequent this problem is, this might tell you something fairly quickly.

Some problem with BoundsChecker, or an interaction problem between BoundsChecker and VA is suddenly looking possible. Can you have a look at this FAQ:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

As it explains you have to use a registry key to stop VA from loading in VS2005. I don't use BoundsChecker myself, but there is probably a very similar registry key you can use to stop its plugin loading without having to uninstall it. Can you have a look, and see if there is?

If so I am thinking close / kill off all devenv.exe processes, then stop BoundsChecker from loading. If this works see if this makes any difference to this problem.

If it makes no difference can you try disabling VA instead? I am trying to change just one variable at a time here.

As for being helpful, we do try I have been the unfortunate person trying to get tech support far to often, so I know how I want to be treated when there is a problem

Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  02:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

This is a little confusing , RickA are you talking about the hang kate_m has just reported?

Sorry about the confusion, I should have worded that post better. I had 3 separate instances where my IDE hung and wouldn't react to anything. It sounds like the same symptoms Kate has (I'm not using Boundschecker though).

After running yesterday with two IDEs but disabling VA immediately at startup I've had no problems. This seems to imply that the hangs are caused by VA. I'll start today by again running a single instance with VA turned ON. If it hangs I'll try and get the callstack. I'll check the page during the day to see if you have any other testing requests. We're using Norton Anti-virus here.

Again, thanks for staying on top of this.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  07:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RickA you may want to have a look at this OLD thread:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3712&whichpage=2

Where a certain version of Norton anti-virus would cause problems that sound similar to yours. Do note that this was August 2005, so hopefully it has been long since fixed, unless you are running an old Norton engine with up to date definitions.

Still it might be worth trying the fix, to see if it makes any difference.

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  12:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick update. I couldn't see an easy way to disable BoundsChecker so i disabled VA instead and everything's been fine today.

What i'll do tomorrow is re-enable VA but uninstall BoundsChecker (it doesn't work with VS2005 SP1, so it's not doing me much good at the moment anyway).

Depending on how that goes, i'll see whether i need to try disabling McAfee.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  1:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kate_m, I would love to point the finger at BoundsChecker, for the simple reason that it has problems with VS2005 SP1, but that may be totally unfair. Certainly I am interested to hear this news, and the results of your further testing.

Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  03:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After running yesterday with only one instance of VS with VA turned on, I've had no hangs, no crashes, no problems at all. I'll try today with two instances again, and assuming I do get a hang, try to get the callstack.

Haven't tried the anti virus thing. If I do get the hangs today, I'll have a go at that tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  04:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, just had this happen again, about 30 minutes in. I was typing in one IDE (just entering a string literal), when it hung. Attempting to attach the other debugger didn't give me a callstack I'm afraid. Then I noticed that the non-hung IDE was displaying the message 'VA X: Waiting for other instance of Visual Studio to fluch DB...'.

If you have any idea how I might get a callstack I'll take suggestions for the next time. FYI, the output window of the IDE I was attempting to attach to the hung IDE was complaining about a non-existing PDB file:

"C:\\WINDOWS\\assembly\\GAC_32\\mscorlib\\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\\mscorlib.dll: Cannot find or open the PDB file.
C:\\WINDOWS\\assembly\\GAC_MSIL\\Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE\\8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\\Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.dll: Cannot find or open the PDB file.
C:\\WINDOWS\\assembly\\GAC_MSIL\\System\\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\\System.dll: Cannot find or open the PDB file.
C:\\WINDOWS\\assembly\\GAC_MSIL\\System.Windows.Forms\\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\\System.Windows.Forms.dll: Cannot find or open the PDB file.
C:\\WINDOWS\\assembly\\GAC_MSIL\\System.Drawing\\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\\System.Drawing.dll: Cannot find or open the PDB file."
Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  07:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And once more, after another two hours. One hung IDE, status bar says 'VA X: Parsing _filename_'. The other IDE is still fully functional at the moment, although it does say it's waiting for the other instance to flush the database.

The file it is parsing was only open in one IDE (the not hung IDE had no open files at the time). The hung IDE is the one with many projects. I'd just loaded one of them, F12 (go to definition) into one of the files in the newly loaded project, took a quick look at the code there (couple of seconds) then CTRL+TAB into another file, and that's when it hung. The file it says it's parsing is the one I'd F12 into, and had just CTRL+TAB out of.

Hope this helps somewhat. Wasn't able to get a stack due to the same problem about the missing PDB files mentioned in my earlier post. Will restart my system entirely and post about any other hangs I get.
Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  07:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed when I closed the not-hung IDE, it closed quickly, but when I went to kill the process of the hung IDE, there were still two devenv.exe processes. That isn't supposed to happen is it?

(PS, I can't edit posts here can I?)
Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  07:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And another hang, only one IDE, no message in the statusbar. I took a look at the VA log file, and a number of entries that jumped out at me (I didn't check the exact time of the crash, but I would put it at around 12:20):

GetSymDef idx c:\\program files\\visual assist x\\vc8\\CPP\\Db4Ds.db is corrupt, fid=0x9ee9b7, rel=0x1cc, act=0x3aa228 tid=4044 uiTid=3360:194 2/15/2007 12:19:59 0xfcc
Exception: VAR::1125 2/15/2007 12:21:26 0xd20
Exception: VAR::1125 2/15/2007 12:22:08 0xd20
Exception: VAR::1125 2/15/2007 12:23:02 0xd20
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:00:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Editing posts, you should be able to edit your own posts quite easily, just click on the icon of a pen on a piece of paper.

My working theory is the hang with only one open IDE is caused by VA's symbol database becoming corrupt. I suspect this was caused by the hang when using two IDE's. So deleting / rebuilding the symbol database should fix this.

Have you tried excluding the VA install directory from your anti virus? It is a long shot, but worth a try.

When you are getting problems with the two IDE's is it normally the first or second IDE you launch that has the problems? Can you predict, fairly reliably, which IDE will fail? The reason I ask is that log files are next. Ideally if the first IDE launched is the one that will hang then enable logging in this IDE only, and then when the problem occurs we search through the logs in search of any clues to the cause.

We may need to try this twice, one set of log files for the IDE that crashes, and a second set of log files for the IDE that is fine, but I am trying to avoid both IDE's, both instances of VA logging at the same time, since this is likely to make for rather confusing log files.

Please see this FAQ for details of turning on VA's logging, and sending us the log files

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W305

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:04:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i've been running with BoundsChecker uninstalled and have just had a problem. No hang this time, but VA just stopped working - no Autotext or Alt-G etc. I closed and reopened Visual Studio, but devenv.exe was left lying around so i got the flush message.

I had a look in errors.log and there's a few exception lines from round about the time when things stopped working which all say:
Exception: VAR::1125 2/15/2007 14:37:04 0xeac

I'm now going to try removing McAfee to see what happens...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kate_m, were you only running one IDE when this happened?
Are all of the exception lines saying "VAR::" ?
Have you been doing any refactoring just before the problem occurred?

It does seem that we can ignore BoundsChecker. Now if we could just find out what was going on here *sigh* Don't worry, I am very bloody minded, and I want to get to the bottom of this.

Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another hang. Again one IDE goes down, then the other gives the flush db message. Another log here at the time of the hang.

I have not yet noticed that it is always the same IDE that hangs, but will pay attention to that next time (which should be today at this frequency). Now that you mentioned it, it does seem to happen to the solution with many projects most of the time, and I do start that up first normally. I have tried rebuilding the databases regularly, although haven't done it after each and every crash/hang. Will start doing that, just to rule things out. Is there an easy way to rebuild the database without it first loading?

Will try disabling Norton tomorrow.

EDLck UnLocked::1152 2/15/2007 15:17:47 0xb38
EDLck Locked::1117 2/15/2007 15:17:47 0xb38
Exception: VAR::1125 2/15/2007 15:17:48 0xdbc
EDLck Wait::1114 2/15/2007 15:29:49 0x118
EDLck Wait::1114 2/15/2007 15:29:50 0x118
EDLck Wait::1114 2/15/2007 15:29:51 0x118
EDLck Wait::1114 2/15/2007 15:29:52 0x118
Go to Top of Page

RickA

16 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  11:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievably, I've just had it again, after only a few minutes. The first IDE (with many projects) hung. After the previous hang, I'd cleared all the VA stuff, and rebuilt databases. I'd turned on logging on that IDE only, so can get you any log files you want. Which ones do you want, and where can I send them? (stupidly I restarted Visual Studio already again, so I assume those logs are gone already? I'm sure I'll have more soon).

Edited by - RickA on Feb 15 2007 11:16:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  11:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the lines are identical apart for the time. There are 14 lines, the first at 14:35:40 and the last at 14:37:04

I think i had done a Create Implementation although how close to the time of the problem, i don't know. I'll try and look out for this. I do use the refactoring a lot, particularly Rename, Create Implementation, Extract Method and Move Implementation to Source. Although i'm pretty sure I haven't done Rename, Extract Method or Move Implementation to Source today.
Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  11:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and yes i was only using one IDE.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  12:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kate_m I asked since it looks like the exception was thrown, and caught when checking which refactoring operations are available, so they can be enabled / disabled on the menu. While this is not right, it should not be causing the whole IDE to crash *sigh*

RickA, please submit the log files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  12:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well my colleague (whose VA works) just remembered his virus scan is configured to ignore certain things (including the VA install dir and all source code) which is different to mine which scans everything. So i've set up my virus scan properties to be the same as his and i'll try that tomorrow.

Thanks for keeping going on this
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000