Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  1:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is very interesting indeed! See my reply to RickA part way down page two about anti-virus, "Feb 14 2007 : 07:23:47"
I wonder if it will make any difference.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness

Edited by - feline on Feb 15 2007 1:05:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  3:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RickA, I have the log files, thank you for these, I will ask the developers if they help.

quote:
Originally posted by RickA

Is there an easy way to rebuild the database without it first loading?

There is, simply delete the directory:

C:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\vc8\
and all of the files and directories inside of it. This will delete VA's symbol database for VS2005.

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  12:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, all was looking promising but it's happened again. I used ProcessExplorer to get a call stack for VA and the CSwitch Delta column shows va_x.dll doing ~176 (don't know if that's significant but its _way_ more than any other thread). A quick look in the error log shows 2 lines:

Exception: VAR::1125 2/16/2007 16:35:12 0x21c
Exception: VAR::1125 2/16/2007 16:35:13 0x21c

Also from yesterday i had the following lines. I don't remember any hang round about this time so i don't know if they're significant in any way but i thought i'd include them in case they're helpful.

Exception: FOO::701 2/15/2007 15:50:38 0x778
Exception: VAR::1125 2/15/2007 15:50:38 0x778

I have screenshots of ProcessExplorer and the va_x.dll call stack. I was going to attach them but see that you can't do that so let me know if you want me to send them to you.

I'm kind of at a loss for what to do now. I've removed BoundsChecker, doxycomment and have changed my McAfee settings. Would it be worth disabling McAfee altogether?
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  1:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*goes and checks*
A fix has been put in for the VAR:: exception, which should stop that being thrown, but so far the developers are still looking into the deadlock RickA is seeing.

kate_m the "FOO::" exception seems to be a different problem, and I am a little more concerned about this. You are seeing these problems with only one IDE running? I am juggling various hard bug reports at the moment, so it is good to double check my facts and make sure I am not mixing people up

Would you be able to turn on VA's logging please when you load the IDE, and leave it turned on? Then when the IDE crashes can you back up and delete the log files:

c:\\va.log
c:\\vassist.log
c:\\Program Files\\Visual Assist X\\Startup.log

you may not see all three, but you probably will. This should give us some more information about this FOO:: exception, assuming it happens again, and hopefully some clues to the cause of these crashes.

If you are able to disable McAfee completely then please do, but not for to long. The last thing we need is you getting a virus infection on top of everything else. I doubt this will make any difference, but it is something we can try.

Go to Top of Page

kate_m

20 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  2:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, this is a bit of a monster post! I have no idea what happened when i got the FOO:: exception. I only noticed it because i've got a into a habit of looking at errors.log periodically. I was _probably_ only using one IDE because i've only really been working on one project lately, but i can't say for definite because occasionally i have a second or third open.

I'll try and summarize what i've seen and been doing:
1. I was using 2 and sometimes 3 IDEs at a time for several weeks and in this situation i was getting hangs a lot (probably every few hours). However, i didn't report anything, mainly because it was easier just to kill the process, rebuild the db and get on with things.
2. I then started using a single IDE. It hung and when i reopened the IDE i got the flush problem. This was the point i first posted.
3. Since then i have been mainly using a single IDE although I have occasionally had 2 open at the same time. I haven't noticed it hanging when i've had 2 IDEs open. However, this difference between now and (1.) is that back then i was doing a lot of coding in both IDEs but now i generally only briefly open a 2nd IDE to look at code rather than make any changes. I'm pretty sure that every time it has hung since i moved back to using a single IDE, it's been with a single IDE open.

Here are things i have noticed. I have no idea whether they mean anything or not though...
1. I _think_ things have got worse since installing VS2005 SP1. However, everyone else at work has this and they have no problems.
2. Things seem better now i've got Intellisense turned off but i have been doing less coding this week so that may mean nothing.
3. I seem to be getting hangs later in the day. This could be because over the last few days, my mornings have been more designing and less coding. Or maybe it could be because usually by the end of the day i will have opened and closed a second IDE. Or maybe its nothing!
4. We are working on multiple releases of the same software so when i open a 2nd IDE it's usually to look at code for a different release so the files will be fairly similar. I definitely did this today, an hour or so before today's hang. I doubt this could confuse VA but i thought i'd mention it.

Anyway, next week i'll disable McAfee for a bit and turn on logging. Hope you have a nice weekend
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2007 :  06:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is being discussed via email with both RickA and kate_m

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic