Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  11:08:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Running VAssist 10.3.1555.0 VStudio 2005 on Vista/64.

Is this a known problem? I searched but couldn't find any info.

If I have a function Foo(int a, int b); and place cursor next to "Foo(", and then type "int c," the IDE will hang when I hit the "," for about 5 secs and then the tooltip is shown with the function parameters.
This seem to happen only the "first time". After the tooltip has shown I can't reproduce it for the same function again. The cpu isn't choking so I don't know that is happening...

Thanks.
(I have tried rebuilding the symbol database with no luck and the actual functions are in a larger project and not named "foo")

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  11:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to try disabling the IDE's intellisense to see if that helps:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W133

VA should not be causing a delay like that, and the default intellisense is known to cause delays, but they are normally associated with a CPU spike.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  12:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hrm tried both those solutions now (i.e. read only ncb-files and renaming feacp.dll) but none of them helped unfortunately... (I see no cpu spikes either..)
I can reproduce the problem by reopening the solution and just enter "int," for a function and the IDE will hang waiting for the tooltip to show. Have also tried disabled coloring with no luck.

*Edit: Although... I haven't reset the IDE's settings upon upgrading VA (the question at the end of the installation), can that be related?

Edited by - GreenMoose on May 04 2007 12:02:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  1:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Resetting the IDE should not matter.

Do you have any other plugin's installed?
Is this a local machine? If so can you watch the hard drive access light on the case and see if this pause is caused by the hard drive going crazy?

I am not sure what is going on here, but someone going off looking up the function information makes sense. But who, and why does everything freeze while they are doing this?

Can you please go to:

VA Options -> About -> Copy Info

and paste the details (from the clipboard) into this thread. This will give us the basic information about your setup.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  2:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have watched the hard drive and it doesn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary (just ticking now and then as usual).
I have 1 other plugin installed (home-brew) but I tried disable that and unreg the dll but with no luck. Although I haven't noticed this behavior before and have run both VA and this plugin together for quite a while...

The only thing I can think of I did recently, besides upgrading VA, is disabling Vista's "secure desktop" when it wants admin rights. Also updated the graphic drivers. (They tend to give me bluescreens when resynching the monitor so they are kind of chumpy).

============
VA_X.dll file version 10.3.1555.0 built 2007.04.26
Licensed to:
VA X: <...>
VA.NET 7.1: <...>
VAOpsWin.dll version 1.3.2.0
VATE.dll version 1.0.5.4
DevEnv.exe version 8.0.50727.762
msenv.dll version 8.0.50727.859
Font: Courier New 13(Pixels)
Comctl32.dll version 6.10.6000.16386
Windows Vista 6.0 Build 6000
2 processors

Platform: Win32
Stable Includes:
c:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v6.0\\Include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\PlatformSDK\\include;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\SDK\\v2.0\\include;
<...>
c:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\System\\ado;
<...>

Library Includes:
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfc;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\mfcm;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\atlmfc\\src\\atl;
C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\\VC\\crt\\src;

Other Includes:
============
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  10:08:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you see a similar problem if you use CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE to trigger the parameter tooltip for an existing function?
Does this problem only effect overloaded functions, or all functions?

Can you reproduce the problem several times without restarting the IDE by calling new functions? I think the answer is yes but I am not certain.

If so can you try disabling VA while the IDE is running via the menu option:

VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X

and see if this makes any difference?

Can you also try disabling VA via the registry and loading the IDE to see if this makes any difference:

http://docs.wholetomato.com?W306

I am searching for any clues to help explain what is going on here.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  03:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>Do you see a similar problem if you use CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE to trigger the parameter tooltip for an existing function?
Yes

>Does this problem only effect overloaded functions, or all functions?
It does happen on non-overloaded functions, get back on if it also affects overloaded ones.

>Can you reproduce the problem several times without restarting the IDE by calling new functions?
Yes (i.e. if I bring up the tooltip in a parameter list of a function declaration/definition, either in .h or .cpp. After the tooltip has appeared it doesn't happen for the same function again for some while (don't know when it starts to happen again)).

>VAssistX -> Enable/Disable Visual Assist X
The problem goes away when VA is disabled.

>Can you also try disabling VA via the registry and loading the IDE to see if this makes any difference<link>
The problem goes away here as well (i.e. seeing the same default tooltip as when VA is disabled via the menu)

*Edit (the reg key was under Wow6432Node)

Edited by - GreenMoose on May 08 2007 03:17:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  03:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Additional notes:

A) The problem seem to reapperar for the same function if I do the following steps:
1) Have several IDEs opened
2) Having read-only files opened in both
3) Bring up the tooltip in IDE2, hangs a few sec. Then it appears quickly each time
4) Enter some text in IDE2 without saving
5) Using ctrl-z to undo all changes in IDE2 so the file becomes "non-altered" again (still read only)
6) Switching to IDE1, hang out in there a few seconds and watch the scenery
7) Switch back to IDE2, tooltip-problem is back.

I couldn't reproduce it as easily without step 4-5 (i.e. it reappered when reactivating the IDE after X minutes, like after browsing web etc.)

B) It doesn't seem to happen on all functions, but rather on some specific files in a specific project. This project is part of SourceSafe, but the file I have trouble with in this project, are not yet a part of the project's source control, but instead my "own" SourceSafe DB (thus read only).
If I try to repro it on another file that is part of the project's SourceSafe db it doesn't seem to happen.
Same if I try to repro it on files where the entire project is in my "own" local source control.

I'll get back to you if I find it happen on other files than these specific ones.

C) In the file I could repro it I have forward declared a bunch of stuff in the file like
namespace nsX
{
class A;
struct B;
<...>
typedef boost::shared_ptr<A> APtr;
}
class <export/import macro> MyClass : publi AnotherClass
{
HRESULT Foo(std::vector<nsX::APtr> *pOut) const;
<...>
};
<definitions of A etc.>

if that could have something to do with it...

*Edit: Reproduced it in files that belonged to a project as well while debugging a writable. (I.e. the B-C cases above does not isolate the problem)

Edited by - GreenMoose on May 08 2007 04:12:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  12:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you seeing any problems with alt-g?

Your reference to having two IDE's open at the same time is reminding me of a bug report with alt-g. This occurred when two instances of the same IDE were used to open two nearly identical copies of the same solution in different directories.

I am wondering if the problem files are always opened in both IDE's? If so it is possible you are running into a similar effect.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  11:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> Are you seeing any problems with alt-g?
I haven't seen any problems regarding freezes with alt-g from what I can remember, only that nothing happens sometimes (same thing with the func parameter,sometimes VA doesn't show a thing when using shift-ctrl-space or myObjAutoPtr-> for instance, toggling VA off makes the intellisense pop up the parameters at once).

> Your reference to having two IDEs open at the same time...
Just tried it with only 1 IDE opened, same freeze-behavior.

Lately when I've sometimes had 3 IDEs opened, one IDE freezes completely when I switch "back" to that one with VA enabled (haven't verified if this behavior is same with VA disabled yet). It could take ~1min or longer for the entire IDE to become responsive again. Although under this time the IDE is gobbling all cpu.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  12:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The alt-g problem with two IDE's that I am thinking of is mentioned in these two threads:

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6074
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6235

So far what you are describing does not really sound the same. This situation with three IDE's and one of them freezes completely... Do you still have the IDE's intellisense disabled? You mention having tried this.

I have seen VA cause the IDE to freeze when it is confronted with complex C++ template code, but this tends to be an immediate, file specific problem, and has nothing to do with running multiple IDE's. If you were seeing this effect it should be fairly obvious, since when using certain code the CPU would jump to 100%.

I have also seen the IDE's default intellisense cause the IDE to just "freeze", this is quite common in my experience, which is why so many people disable it.

Beyond these two effects I don't know why the system should be freezing.

If you open FSIW are the functions listed? Instead of using CTRL-SHIFT-SPACE on a function to reproduce the problem I am wondering what happens if you try alt-g or FSIW and jump to the function this way.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  06:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>The alt-g problem with two IDE's that I am thinking of is mentioned in these two threads:
>http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6074
>http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6235
I get choises of which file I want to go when using alt-g. But if I stand in the cpp for a function definition it automatically goes to the .h (which I guess is the designed behavior).

I haven't still got the IDE's intellisense disabled (I want it when VA fails to show a tooltip which is very often nowadays), but I'll disable it via registry/dll and give it a try to see if the IDE-freezing still occurs.

What is FSIW ?

*Edit whops I didn't mean disable via registry above, that was for VA :]

Edited by - GreenMoose on May 11 2007 06:25:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  08:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try turning on:

VA Options -> Advanced -> General -> Enable automatic Quick Info ToolTips

this should mean that VA always tries to show tooltips. Normally in VS2005 VA waits for the IDE to show a tooltip, and if it decides that the IDE is not going to do so then it shows its tooltip.

Hopefully this will mean you still get tooltips, even with the IDE's intellisense disabled.

This just leaves us with everything else to try and sort out.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  08:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks I'll give it a go. Although now something even more weird has started to happen;

* I've renamed the dll-file for disabling intellisense (although the .ncb-files were created anyway but IDE doesn't show tooltip when VA is disabled so I guess it's off)
* I start debugging a project (that one which kept freezing before), I have disabled VA via the menu.
* After a few seconds in when I get to a certain point in debugging, I see "VA X: Parsing file XXX.h" in the IDE status window meanwhile the IDE quickly eats 1.5GIG RAM and crashes (or stops working). I here have to kill the entire IDE process.
I'll try disabling VA via the registry and see if the behavior is still there (Should VA X parse files even though it's disabled?).

*Edit: It doesn't crash when VA isn't loaded. When I enabled it again, as soon as it starts parsing this specific file it goes wild and gopes the RAM and dies. Have to disable VA all together for today so I get something done... (I also just noticed when I didn't load VA my devenv eats about 65MB RAM, when I have it loaded it takes 300-500 or so.)

Edited by - GreenMoose on May 11 2007 08:45:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  11:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The setting:

VA Options -> Performance -> Keep symbols in memory for fast response after Alt+Tab

may have some effect on the RAM usage, but I suspect it is more likely something else is causing this problem.

Normally when testing "VA uses 100% of the CPU" I just use the enable / disable menu option and this is enough to fix the problem, so I would expect that disabling VA to be enough, but clearly it is not enough here. To be honest that surprises me.

I have the screen shots, thank you for those. The several line tooltip does seem to be from VA. Is this function one of yours? If so then do you have:

VA Options -> Advanced -> C/C++ -> display comments from source files when available

turned on? I suspect you do.

The more I look at this the more confused I am getting. It looks as if you are adding a new member function to a class, so no one is going to know the parameter list, since this is a new function. Is this correct?

If so then where does the tooltip come from? Is this an overloaded function? If so the tooltip, and the comment, might be coming from an existing overload, or the base class if this is a virtual function.

Turning back to your last post, it looks as if this specific file, or something the file includes, is causing a lot of problems.

Do you have the time to see if opening this file on its own (so no solution loaded) is enough to cause VA problems? If this is enough, would you be able to strip the file down to the point where you could send me a copy for testing purposes? Bulk deleting chunks of the file should be a quick way of doing this, or curing the problem if you delete the problem code.

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  11:46:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been looking at the screen shot again. The parameters being listed, are the last parameters really the following member functions???? It looks like they are, and that is definitely a new one on me.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  1:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> VA Options -> Performance -> Keep symbols in memory for fast response after Alt+Tab

Have unchecked it for now.

>I have the screen shots, thank you for those. The several line tooltip does seem to be from VA. Is this function one of yours? If so then do you have:
>VA Options -> Advanced -> C/C++ -> display comments from source files when available
>turned on? I suspect you do.

Yes and yes.

>The more I look at this the more confused I am getting. It looks as if you are adding a new member function to a class, so no one is going to know the
>parameter list, since this is a new function. Is this correct?

Well the function already existed, I just wanted to add a parameter so I guess that's why the tooltip existed. This behavior with 2 different tool-tips disappeared after I tried to investigate the crashes though. (see below)

>Turning back to your last post, it looks as if this specific file, or something the file includes, is causing a lot of problems.
>Do you have the time to see if opening this file on its own (so no solution loaded) is enough to cause VA problems?

I tried opening the file in ProjC below but this did not trigger any crash. I had the following setup when it crashed every time:
ProjA\\ProjB\\ProjC\\File1.h
Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File1.h (same content as above, shared file via VSS).

Proj3 was an exe-app that used some other shared header-files from ProjC which is an dll.
When I opened ProjC project and opened ProjC\\File1.h, nothing happened. But when I browsed (or stepped into) so I got Proj3\\File1.h opened in ProjC the parser went nuts and IDE crashed.
This happened even if I completely cleraed Proj3\\File1.h to just contain an include-guard and class MyClass {};.
I tried to reproduce it with clean projects with no luck so I opened Proj3 project and opened Proj3\\File1.h which went fine. opened ProjC\\File1.h also which went fine.
I closed it and then opened ProjC again, now it doesn't crash any longer.
Although I did log the crash behavior and it is 19Meg, although these lines appear almost in the entire log:

(I've changed nsMYNAMESPACE and pth/filenames below, File2.h is also a shared file between both projects. The entry below continues on and on and on:
===================
FFNSS: " :std :nsMYNAMESPACE :nsMYNAMESPACE :utility :Work :System:Reflection :__identifier("<CrtImplementationDetails>") :indirect_traits :boost:detail:is_function_ref_tester_ :ATL :WTL :_com_util :rel_ops "
FFTID: "0x5c0"
FormatFile c:\\<...>\\Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File1.h1
Parsing c:\\<...>\\Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File1.h
Loading c:\\<...>\\Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File1.h
QueFile c:\\<...>\\Proj1\\Proj2\\Proj3\\File2.h
QueueParseWorkItem
===================

>I have been looking at the screen shot again. The parameters being listed, are the last parameters really the following member functions????
>It looks like they are, and that is definitely a new one on me.

Yepp but I haven't closed the function I'm altering with ");" so maybe that's why it thinks the rest of the header file actually is parameters to the function I'm editing or so? (this I can reproduce).
Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  03:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding renaming feacp.dll to disable default intellisense. This also makes my dialog class wizard stop working. I cannot make classes from new dialogs etc. but I get errors like "object required" or the wizard not remembering that I had created a class for it.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  08:37:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The crash, I am reminded of an alt-g bug:

case=6078

This problem shows up when running two IDE's at the same time with very similar solution open in both, having the "same" file open in both IDE's seems to be a factor. It is possible you are running into a related, more serious, version of this. This is just a theory, but we are hoping to have this bug fixed in the next build.

Disabling the IDE's intellisense, unfortunately this does tend to break certain things inside the IDE. Different people report different effects, and many people never notice any side effects.

Has disabling the IDE's intellisense had any effect on the IDE hanging / stopping for several seconds? I suspect you need to re-enable it, so these features start working again, but it would be good to know if it is a factor or not.

Are you able to reproduce this strange tooltip in a simple test? I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like that, so I am wondering what you are doing to trigger this.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  08:41:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> Has disabling the IDE's intellisense had any effect on the IDE hanging / stopping for several seconds? I suspect you need to re-enable it, so these features start working again, but it would be good to know if it is a factor or not.

Well I never got it to hang with it disabled, but I haven't got it to hang yet with it enabled either :]. Maybe it's related to how often I switch IDEs or such, now I'm working with 3 opened without any problems. (Or maybe it was related to the crash or so.. dunno)

> Are you able to reproduce this strange tooltip in a simple test?

If in simple you mean an isolated test-project I have to get back to you about this when I have more time on my hands.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  09:06:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hang, I am currently hoping that it will be fixed by case=6078, since I am not sure where else to start looking.

The odd tooltip, a simple test project would be nice but obviously this takes time and has to wait. For the moment are you doing anything special to produce this effect? You said you were adding a parameter, so did you simply delete the ");" from the end of the line, and type a comma to add the parameter?

Or are you doing something else, something more complex?

I suspect the fact you have shared files, so "duplicates" is a factor here.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  09:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
>The odd tooltip, a simple test project would be nice but obviously this takes time and has to wait.
>For the moment are you doing anything special to produce this effect?
>You said you were adding a parameter, so did you simply delete the ");" from the end of the line,
>and type a comma to add the parameter?

I had 1 parameter per row and deleted the ending ); and typed "," after the last parameter. (Then the tooltip suggested that the functions declared below were parameters to the function).
Although I have "Include bits of code from surrounding lines" enabled so IMHO it is no worries if this behaves like that. The tooltip works fine after I've closed the function so I'm happy... :]. But I see if I can isolate it sometime in the near future (probably can't if you guys can't :P).
Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  7:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far no luck reproducing this. I have tried on a single file, and on a duplicate file. If you are not bothered by this particular effect then I am tempted to ignore it for now.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  03:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a little update: Now the IDE crashes on a totaly different file :(. It goes bezerk on RAM and then crashes when in middle of a debug session. The behavior is still as before; I'm debugging a project which uses a lib and when I step into the lib source the VAx starts to parse some headers shared betwen both project, but the path it parses it is in the library (i.e. not the project I'm debugging, but stepping into via debugging it) and then it crashes.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  07:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you ever run two IDE's at the same time?

There is a known problem, fixed in the next build (which is due in the next few days) where running two IDE's at the same time can lead to problems with alt-g. I am wondering if this might somehow be connected.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  07:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks. (Yepp I run most often with somehwat like 3 IDEs opened at a time).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  07:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The test case for this problem involves opening two copies, in different directories, of the same solution. This is not the only way to trigger the problem, but it was a reproducible trigger.

If you have common library files that get opened in two different IDE's then you might be seeing the same problem. I am not sure if this would ever produce a crash, but I am hoping that the fix will help you.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  08:20:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a side node; Once the crash occurs, it's enough to just open that project when the particular file is amongst the "open files" tab to make the IDE gobbling RAM and die. But rebuilding the VA symbol database seems to make this crashing go away which is good :).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  11:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This suggests that VA's symbol database has become corrupt in some sense. We saw the same behaviour with the alt-g problem, the user had to rebuild the symbol database to fix it. It does sound like the next build will fix this for you.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  01:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=6078 is fixed in 1557
Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  09:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update: Haven't experienced any crashes but the tooltip delay is still there unfortunately.
(I've also noticed that on very rare occasions a line is just disappearing from the code when I write, if I wait something like 10-15 seconds it pops back, but that was in previous version as well...)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000