Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  10:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you get some screen shots of the problem tooltips? It is possible some of them are from the IDE.

The line disappearing... is this actually a line of text in the editor? Nothing at all to do with tooltips?

There is a very rare effect I have seen myself where the current line is replaced by a series of empty squares, the character you get when the font you are using does not hold the current character. I have seen this perhaps 10 times in a year. Alt-tab away and back again normally fixes this, it seems to be a display only problem. I have also seen it happen without VA installed. If you are seeing something similar then it may just be the IDE messing about.

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  11:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
> Can you get some screen shots of the problem tooltips? It is possible some of them are from the IDE.

Hrm the problem is that the entire ide locks a few sec occasionaly before showing any tooltip, so there's nothing to see really. When the tooltip finally appears it is as expected. (This maybe have something to do with Vista? I've noticed that everything refreshes like a billion times just before the tooltips is shown when this happens, and the tooltip might close directly after that).

> The line disappearing... is this actually a line of text in the editor? Nothing at all to do with tooltips?

Yepp a complete separate thing. Some times (very rare, the past weeks it has happened like max 4 times or so) when I edit code I notice that a line just vanishes. I can't select the entire line to see if it is characters there (it appears to be empty) and I can't delete or write anything in that line. After a while it just pops up again (although I can continue to write/browse etc. in the IDE while this ghost-line is gone).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  1:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason for the tooltip screen shot was to see if it is an IDE or VAX tooltip. I am not sure if this knowledge would help, but it is somewhere to start.

Have you tried turning off:

VA Options -> Advanced -> Fonts and Colors -> Apply Colouring to -> Tooltips

to see if this makes any difference? Are you running as an administrator user on Vista? A wild theory, if you are running as a limited user and someone is trying to parse some file that you do not have full access rights to, to produce the tooltip, the IDE might hang while waiting for the file access to time out.

I am not a great fan of this theory, but it is an idea.

This blank line, I don't recognise that problem at all. Have you looked for updated graphics drivers?

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  07:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update2: Crashes are still there as well unfortunately. I'm currently experience another crash while VA parses fileA which is included from FileB which is included in a relative "..\\..\\proj\\blah.h" from a file in the project (not the same file as the previous crashes).
Same behavior, chokes memory up to 1.5GB and then IDE stops working...

** Edit **
Actually the structure of filefiles/projects was like below. I open project Proj3 and opens File1.cpp and then VA goes nuts (tried to reboot not using the "user account control" thingy, no difference)
VA Hangs with the message "Parsing c:\\<...>Dir\\Proj1\\File3.h"

\\Dir\\Proj1\\\Dir\\Proj2\\Proj3

///// Content of Proj3\\File1.cpp //// (opening this file makes it choke)
#include ..\\..\\Proj1\\File1.h
#include ..\\File2.h //I.e. from Proj2

//// Content of Proj1\\File1.h ////
#include "File3.h"

//// Content Proj2\\File2.h ////
#include "File3.h"

File3.h is shared to both Proj2 and Proj1...

Edited by - GreenMoose on Jun 16 2007 08:13:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you post the full paths to these files? I will try setting up a test case here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

How large and complex is "File3.h"? I am wondering if it is possible VA is confused by this file on its own. Are you able to open this file directly, perhaps via OFIW, without any problems? If so do you have any problems if you manually reparse this file?

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2007 :  2:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by feline

Can you post the full paths to these files? I will try setting up a test case here and see if I can reproduce the problem.

How large and complex is "File3.h"? I am wondering if it is possible VA is confused by this file on its own. Are you able to open this file directly, perhaps via OFIW, without any problems? If so do you have any problems if you manually reparse this file?

1) Sent you a mail

2) The file3.h is not complex at all, just a struct and a global function.
When I had the similar crash before I tried to open the file causing the crash in other projects and by its own, but that went fine.
(The previous file caused the crash was a similar case to this, it was both shared between projects as well as existing in a "common" directory so files included it from both with "" and <> depending on if the current project had the file shared or not...)

When I did a rebuild symbol database and restart the IDE the problem goes away just as it did the previous time.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  11:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you about this. I have been looking at the email and setting up some tests, but I am not making much progress.

VSS shared files seem relatively common, people mention them here quite often, but problems like this do not seem to be common at all. Also including the same file in various files, in various manors seems quite common.

Do you know approximately how many individual VSS shared files there are in the solution? And how many files this becomes?

I am wondering if having 200 VSS shared files is causing the problem, while most people only have 1 or 2 VSS shared files.

Go to Top of Page

GreenMoose

Sweden
36 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No worries. I guess this isn't an easy one to reproduce since not even I can do it after have rebuilt the symbol database, and when I get the crash I can't isolate it other than when opening a specific file in a specific project....

Anyhow in 1 project for example ("Proj1" above) we have 158 shared files, a mix of single headers and cpp/h pairs. (The shared files are scattered around in projects though).
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  12:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once VA's symbol database has become corrupt various problems will start to show up, all of which are due to the corruption.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, when you say 158 are you counting this:

C:\\library\\foo.h
C:\\src\\application\\foo.h

C:\\library\\bar.h
C:\\src\\application\\bar.h
C:\\src\\test_harness\\bar.h

as 2 or 5 files?

Are all, or most, of these duplicates being listed in OFIW?

If VA is aware of all of these duplicates it may simply be more duplicate / shared files than we are used to seeing, so stressing something. This is very vague, but at least it is an idea we can look into.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000