Help Troubleshooting: Added Files Not Showing Up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2009 :  9:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello:

I'm having a hard time troubleshooting to see why a particular issue is occurring. If anyone knows of why this might be happening, or some steps I can do locally to narrow down the cause of this (either towards a solution or finding a possible bug), it would be appreciated.

In our code base, which is rather large, on a newly built machine with Visual Studio 2008, Visual Assist X, and ViEMU installed, if I add a new file to the project, it does not show up in SHIFT-ALT-O. Only until I close Visual Studio and start it back up again does it show up properly.

I've tested this on a blank solution, and haven't been able to reproduce it. Does anyone know of any other possible causes that could cause this? Is this a known issue for large projects?

Just curious. I'll start copying the solution and butchering it see if I can make it happen in a small test case.

Cheers,

-e-

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  11:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally this happens because the IDE is not telling VA about the new file. The project type and language might be a factor here.

Does using File menu -> Save all... make any difference?

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2009 :  11:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
File->Save All doesn't seem to make the file appear in the Shift-Alt-O dialog.

The project is of a "Makefile" configuration type. The language is C++.

Just in case it makes a difference, this project is under version control, using the Perforce SCC plugin. I tried disconnecting from source control and save all that way too, but to no avail.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  5:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you about this, I have been busy working on VS2010 Beta 2.

I have just tried some simple tests here with VS2008 and VA 1738, and new files are showing up immediately in the OFIW dialog when I add them to a C++ makefile project.

In the solution where you see this problem, is the solution stored on a local drive or some form of network drive?
Does it have active source control bindings?
Are you using a different method to add files to this solution, compared with the test solution?

I am looking for any obvious differences that might give us a clue about why this is failing.

Go to Top of Page

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2009 :  5:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Feline:

Thanks for getting back to me.

The solution is on a local drive. It has active source control bindings (Perforce SCC).

I too have tried making a C++ Makefile project and I too see additions registering in Visual Assist, so I'm rather baffled as to why this larger project has issues.

The method I use for adding to both projects is standard. I right click on the project in the solution explorer, and click 'Add File', and add a new .h.

I haven't tried adding the new solution to Perforce yet, but I have tried removing solution bindings from the problem solution and it hasn't fixed anything.

Are there any logs I can provide, or scan for possible errors?

Cheers,

-e-
Go to Top of Page

andre.horst
Tomato Guru

Germany
150 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  07:17:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a source control system installed? Sometimes VS wont let you add files that are not checked out without giving any feedback.
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  1:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have the time can you try the following test please. Once again remove the source control bindings from the solution, make sure the entire solution tree is checked out for editing in Perforce then copy the entire tree to a new location on the local drive.

The idea is to run some "destructive" tests on the copy of the solution. Basically delete / remove files from the solution in large numbers and see if this makes any difference to the problem.

I am wondering if the size of the solution is a factor, in which case deleting lots of files will fix it.

If not then there should be something different or odd about the solution. If so then getting down to a solution with 3 dummy files that still shows the problem will be useful, since hopefully you will be able to send me the solution for me to test here, and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Go to Top of Page

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2009 :  3:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Feline:

I've run a destructive test as you suggested. I've paired away everything to just three .h files, a project file and a solution and it still occurs.

Where should I send these files?

Cheers,

-e-
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  4:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is very good, if puzzling news. I am not sure what project settings could be triggering this effect. Please submit the files via the form:

http://www.wholetomato.com/support/contact.asp

including this thread ID or URL in the description, so we can match it up.

Go to Top of Page

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2009 :  6:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've sent in the required files and pertinent information. If I can assist further, please let me know - and if there is a solution to be found in a future release of Visual Assist, I'd love to know the build number.

Cheers,

-e-
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  11:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the files, many thanks for these. I am seeing the same problem here. It appears to be caused by placing the project into a solution folder, rather than directly into the solution its self:

case=36780

Somehow this is causing problems, but we are not sure why yet. VA gets the IDE to tell us when new files have been added, but clearly this is failing here.

If it helps you can use IDE File menu -> Close Solution, and then reload the solution to fix this. You don't need to actually close and restart the IDE.

Go to Top of Page

eddieparker

39 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  11:11:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great!

Hopefully it's at least possible to 'fix', given that the problem could possibly with the IDE not sending the event.

Anyhow, I just wanted to add, a similar problem exists for removing files from said projects as well - I imagine they're related, but just in case they're not.

Cheers,

-e-
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18951 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2009 :  8:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing the same problem with removing files, I have put a note on the case about this. We are looking into this, and are hoping to find a fix.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2010 :  04:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
case=36780 is fixed in build 1814

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly