Auto Suggestion within word missing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kempus

12 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  04:19:15 AM  Show Profile
HIjacked from the suggestions forum...

There used to be a really useful feature (in Visual Assist 6) where if you had a class called COneTwoThree, and you typed COneThree, you would be able to position the cursor as in COne|Three and type "T" and it would suggest COneTwoThree. What happened to this feature? It no longer does that :(.

Just thought I'd post it here as I view this as a bug.

Tim

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  04:37:20 AM  Show Profile
I also miss this feature.

Stephen Turner
ClickTracks http://www.clicktracks.com/
Winner: ClickZ's Best Web Analytics Tool 2003 & 2004
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  05:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Me, too!

Having 2 char-Arrays (szPathName and szFolderName, yes, hungarian, don't start to argue...) and changing szPathName to szFolderName was very easy in VA.NET 7.1, since VA did suggest every Variable that started with sz and ended with Name (like szComputerName etc.)

This feature is missing since first Beta-Version of VA_X. I thought it would come back during the builds, but it didn't...

So I'd vote: Please, re-implement it!

Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  06:15:50 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it used to work exactly like that, did it? If your caret was between sz and Name, it would suggest everything beginning with sz, not just the ones which also ended with Name. The difference was that if you chose one ending with Name, the whole word got replaced. If you chose one not ending with Name, Name stayed there, so you got something like szAnotherStringName, with your caret after String.

So it was useful even if you wanted to type another variable before an existing one. Now it doesn't suggest anything at all.

Presumably the tomato suggestions could be weighted in favour of variables ending with the thing to the right of your caret: but they should suggest other things too.

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  06:23:46 AM  Show Profile
You're right, I think it worked the way you describe.
No matter how it worked, it did work, which is not the case in Visual Assist X 1221...

And that needs to be fixed...

Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  07:41:03 AM  Show Profile
why on earth would they remove such a useful feature? *puzzled*

zen is the art of being at one with the two'ness
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  07:43:11 AM  Show Profile
Maybe a side-effect of some other improvement or bug fix?

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  07:48:25 AM  Show Profile
i was wondering the same thing myself. lets hope it isn't a design decision

Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  07:49:31 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it was removed intentionally...

Well, better said: I hope it wasn't...

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  08:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Stephen is correct. Removal of the feature is a side effect of suggestion listboxes replacing suggestion tooltips.

With tooltips, we offered one suggestion at a time. Up and down arrows closed tooltips and caused the editor to move lines.

With suggestion listboxes, we offer multiple suggestions. Arrows scroll the list or force a completion listbox to open (one with all completions.) Effectively, we now highjack arrows.

If we opened a suggestion listbox when you moved to COne|Three, you would have no way to type a few letters and arrow to the next line without closing our suggestion listbox. Actually, we did this for a while in the early beta. We drove people crazy.

http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1443

When we have time, we will revisit this topic. We should probably let you move to the middle of a symbol and press Ctrl+Space.

Whole Tomato Software, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

WannabeeDeveloper
Tomato Guru

Germany
775 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  09:09:45 AM  Show Profile
Uhm, that link points into the private Beta-Area, just to let you know...

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2004 :  10:33:17 AM  Show Profile
Good point. Posts in the private beta are predominately from the early part of the beta. One snippet from the relevant thread is:

quote:
... these VAX listboxes are driving me nuts!

I can't just type the way I normally do - I have to be constantly watching to see if a listbox pops up, because until I hit Escape to get rid of it, all the down-arrows in the world get ignored. This is very annoying. Here's an example:

I'm editing the "MyClass" constructor initializer list, trying to change this:
, m_nSpecHeight(370)
to this:
, m_nSpecHeight(0)

So, I highlight the "37", press "Del", and then arrow down several times to get to the next place I want to go. But wait! I'm stuck! My train of thought has been totally derailed - WTF is going on?

Go to Top of Page

threeprong

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  6:38:47 PM  Show Profile
BUMP!

I really miss this from VA 6.

It usually annoys me when I've copy/pasted something and I want to replace a bunch of symbol names. Example: if I have this:

MyLocation &GetLocation() {return m_location;}

and now I want to make a GetAngle method, I copy the line, put the cursor after the My in MyLocation and start typing "Angle", so you get this:

MyAngLocation

VAX does not attempt to match to the existing MyAngle symbol like it used to. The same thing happens when changing GetLocation ==> GetAngle and m_location ==> m_angle.

I miss it!
Go to Top of Page

cjurney

3 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2004 :  9:27:28 PM  Show Profile
One more vote for this feature...

It comes up constantly when I'm inserting text that I want to do a Ctrl-Space, but have to do a space-then-left-arrow to make the new token auto-completable.

Like if I'm adding a parameter to a function call:

myfunc(param1, param2);
^

With the cursor at the P, I have to hit space, then left, then start typing my new names to get auto complete.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  04:46:48 AM  Show Profile
I constantly miss this feature.

support: Maybe when you're typing in the middle of the word, you should only get one suggestion, as in previous versions of VA. This would get round the problems you described above, wouldn't it?

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

schoenherr
Tomato Guru

Germany
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  09:32:37 AM  Show Profile
i don't think limiting to one suggestion is a good idea. in my opinion they should implement things discussed in topic:
http://forum.wholetomato.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2082
and all would work as expected also with automatic suggestion list boxes.

Edited by - schoenherr on Apr 23 2004 09:38:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  09:46:17 AM  Show Profile
I disagree with the suggestion in that thread. I think plain Up and Down are the only keys that people will use intuitively. You can't expect people to read the manual and learn the key combinations. It should just work out of the box, without them having to think about it.

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

LarryLeonard
Tomato Guru

USA
1041 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  09:51:56 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, by DEFAULT it should use the arrow keys, and then when people discover that keying down through the eighteen overloads for the CString constructor (or whatever the hell it is) is driving them NUTS, THEN give us a way to use a different key...
Go to Top of Page

feline
Whole Tomato Software

United Kingdom
18939 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  10:02:35 AM  Show Profile
i just have to agree with this. i was really impressed when i first started using VS that i could see all of the parameters by using up and down.

now, a couple of months later, i am SO sick of this! it is useful to know what the parameters are, but how am i supposed to move around my code when up and down dont move my cursor?

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  10:11:51 AM  Show Profile
There is a fine line between offering help and getting in the way, however, we miss this feature as well.

Stephen may have the right idea. We will experiment in-house and hopefully come up with a solution.

Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2004 :  12:38:48 PM  Show Profile
We are considering a few changes to the behavior of our suggestion listboxes. When open, arrow keys will change selection in a selection listbox only when more than one suggestion exists. If only one, a down or up arrow clears the suggestion and moves the cursor -- the arrows no longer auto-open a completion listbox.

When suggestion listboxes contain more than one entry, down arrows will scroll until the last entry. After that, a down arrow closes the listbox and moves the cursor.

The only trick now is helping the [new] user realize a completion listbox is available also. (As it is, arrowing off the bottom of a suggestion listbox auto-opens a completion listbox, assuming one exists.) We will help the new user by adding a hovering tooltip to the suggestion listbox. The tooltip will instruct the user to press Ctrl+Space to get a completion listbox. You will need to learn the same.

These changes will eliminate some confusion, particularly with new users. They should help also eliminate some of the "get in the way" complaints.

We are still contemplating changes to make completion within a word better. Default IDE behavior is poor -- we acknowledge that. Our problem is trying not to get in the way of someone wanting to add simply m_ to the front of symbol, yet helping someone who want to add a long symbol to some existing code.

This is a bit like a ping-pong match where both sides are getting closer and closer to the net.

We all win if we get this right.

ixBug=23

Edited by - support on May 04 2004 11:56:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

support
Whole Tomato Software

5566 Posts

Posted - May 10 2004 :  2:39:57 PM  Show Profile
It turns out the task of offering suggestions in the middle of a word is more tricky than we thought. Lots of special cases. We will wait several builds, current is 1234, before issue an attempt.

Go to Top of Page

threeprong

3 Posts

Posted - May 11 2004 :  2:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Bummer.

Well, I hope someone has a brainstorm soon on how to solve it.
Go to Top of Page

troppoli

8 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  11:07:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what the current thinking is on this, but I sure find myself hitting [space] [left arrow] a lot to get some suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen
Tomato Guru

United Kingdom
781 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  11:10:59 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I end up doing that a lot too.

Stephen Turner
Go to Top of Page

jpizzi
Tomato Guru

USA
642 Posts

Posted - May 19 2004 :  12:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Support: How about (yet another) hot key?

Joe Pizzi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
© 2023 Whole Tomato Software, LLC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000